Social Security Disability and Back Child Support?

I was injured in the military and got approved for SSDI. I've paid child support on time and lived on limited income. I told the SSA that my child lives 50/50 with both parents. The SSA sent my ex the back pay for the child, how can that be legal? She gets double child support paid to her when I've been suffering and going without to pay for my child. I have proof of child support paid, can I take my ex to court to get my SSDI backpay?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
August 14, 20180 found this helpful

I would consult a lawyer. If you cant afford one, go to the Legal Aid Society.


Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
August 14, 20180 found this helpful

This is really tough and I know you must really feel frustrated but it is possible you will not be able to get any money back but you may be able to reduce your support payments.


  • Please contact someone with your branch of the service and see if they cannot help you or maybe send you to someone that can.
  • You will need an attorney to do anything about any of this but, even if you have to pay the fees, if may be worth it in the end.
  • I would not wait very long as once that money is gone (spent) you will have no chance whatever.
  • Also, your children are entitled to benefits from your SSDI and that may also help you with future payments.
  • Your ex should already be getting benefits through SS so be sure you follow up on this as the children are eligible to draw benefits until they reach 18-19 years of age as long as they are still in regular school/high school.
  • Remember - time may be of the essence so visit your service office and ask for help.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
August 14, 20180 found this helpful

Thank you for your service to our country! G-d bless you and your family!

If you have trouble getting help through your military channels and finding a good lawyer to help with your questions, contact your state senator or your federal congressman and see if they can help. We have had help from our state senator on several issues and they have been kind and helpful.


Just learned recently that our US representative-- congressman--also has helpful services.

To find who represents you, put your city and state into Google and start with state representative. Ours came right up. All services are paid by taxes so no extra charge for you. They usually have many offices so they can help constituates easily!

Good luck! Prayers for a good solution!


Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
August 16, 20180 found this helpful

The only way to rectify this problem is with a lawyer. He will be able to advise you about what to do. Hopefully, you can work this out so you won't need to pay child support on the extra money she has already received.


Maybe your lawyer can get back the money or use the money that SSD paid her out of your disability check as a credit for the following months. This way you won't need to pay her until the money has run out.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportAugust 14, 2018
Easter Ideas!
Mother's Day Ideas!
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2024-03-25 06:19:38 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.