Softening Hard Sugar

How do I soften granulated sugar once it's become hard?

By jackie from Totowa, NJ

Answers:

Softening Hard Sugar

I've heard of this working for brown sugar. Place the brown sugar in an airtight container with a slice of fresh bread placed on top. Seal and leave overnight. It should be soft and fresh again in the morning, if not just let it sit another day or two. (12/07/2010)

By Theresabentley

Softening Hard Sugar

Microwave it, just like new again. (12/07/2010)

By Frank

Softening Hard Sugar

I just came across a 5 lb bag I bought before Christmas (it's Feb. now) and it hardened like a complete rock. I dumped it into a large bowl and using a hand grater grated the large pieces. Then I sifted into it's container. The large chunks that didn't sift, I placed back in the bowl and continued grating and sifting again. When a few small pieces (too small to grate) were left, I softly hit them with a meat mallet until they broke up, then throwing them into the sifter. Total loss from a 5 lb. bag was probably a tablespoon. Total time spent was about 15 min. Overall, it worked fine. I would do it again. Very easy. (02/10/2011)

By Jeff R.

This common sense method works perfectly! Used it today! This answer by Jeff should be at the top of the how to List!