Softening Hard Sugar

How can I soften granulated sugar which has hardened in the bag in which it was sold?

By Betty from Shoreview, MN

Answers:

Softening Hard Sugar

I've had to do this trick several times myself to break up hardened sugar. Place the entire unopened bag of sugar in a plastic bag and close the top. Now take the bag and carefully drop the bag on the floor, first on one side then the other. This will definitely break up the sugar granules. (07/11/2010)

By Marjorie

Softening Hard Sugar

Not sure if this will work for granulated sugar, but it does the trick in brown sugar, put a piece of bread in the bag, just like 1/4 of a slice. It will keep it fresh and the bread gets hard, not the sugar. Replace bread piece about every 10 days. (07/11/2010)

By Amy3e

Softening Hard Sugar

Once you get it broken up, run it through a flour sifter. I've done that many times. (07/11/2010)

By littergitter

Softening Hard Sugar

You can run it through your food processor if it's too hard to break up. (07/13/2010)

By Judy = Oklahoma

I know this question of softening hard granulated sugar has been commented on for five or six years. And then I fished out a hard bag of sugar from my refrigerator. I tried the one minute method. All ll I got was a big bag of warm hard sugar. So I smacked it with a small hammer to make the pieces little smaller..so so..

but very therapeutic in a strange way. I dEcided to try a coffee grinder trick it is wonderful and easy..I don't use sugar in the house too much. That's why this bag was as old as dirt But I wanted to make some cinnamon sugar. So now I'm onto my next step. Thanks for reading my rant/thought/suggestion. Peace and blessings. Gail.