Softer Line Dried Clothing

I like the feel of linen shirts that have dried in a clothes dryer with fabric softener. But to save money, I dry them on an outdoor clothes line. Unfortunately, line drying leaves them stiff, with wrinkles. What can I do to get them soft again?

By AmnesiaWes from Hawaii

Answers:

Softer Line Dried Clothing

Use liquid fabric softener when you wash them and pop them in the dryer for 4 or 5 minutes after taking them off the line. (04/19/2009)

By Anonymous

Softer Line Dried Clothing

Fabric softener when you wash, and I used to put all shirts on clotheshangers and then hang them on the line. Much less wrinkles. (04/19/2009)

By vguy

Softer Line Dried Clothing

I put everything in the dryer for a few minutes before I hang them outside. Clothes that shrink, I put on the no heat cycle. I try and dry all my clothes without using my dryer in the winter using wooden dryers and a cloths line in my basement. If you need the clothes the next day, a small fan on the lowest setting works wonders, and uses less electricity then the dryer. (04/23/2009)

By dduff

Softer Line Dried Clothing

I use fabric softener in the last rinse, hang things on hangers after shaping/stretching them and then hang the hangers on the line. After they sun-dry I toss them on "Air-fluff" in the dryer for about a minute. Works very well for me. Even with towels! (04/23/2009)

By Cathy S

Softer Line Dried Clothing

I know this can not always be done, but if you can hang your clothes out on windy days or when the wind is blowing your clothes will be softer. The more wind the less wrinkles. In the hot summer and on days with no wind, my clothes are stiff. Fabric softener helps. I do not like to use it, because it's bad for pipes and septic system. Also double rinsing clothes helps. The soap still in the clothes after one rinse makes them stiff, and clothes last longer and look better getting the soap out. (04/24/2009)

By Cindy in Texas