Something Is Eating My Pepper Plants

Something is eating my bell pepper plants over night. It has not touched my tomatoes, squash, jalapenos, or cucumbers. I also have pictures of the poop it left under the plant.

By Kim from Suffolk, VA

Best Answer

Is this a trick question? There is a picture of a tomato worm on the plant. It is being eaten by a tomato worm, just pick it off! Check your plants daily for these worms, you will notice little black pellets (poo) on the leaves below the caterpillar.

I saw that too. I love your answer. My husband and I enjoyed a good morning laugh over the fact that even after you pointed out that the culprit is right there in the photo someone still came along behind you insisting it's slugs.

I had the same thing hear in MI. @zone 5. First I used Seven Powder, no help! Then I used Insecticidal Soap maid by Ortho, this really helped alot. After this I made a mix of used coffee grounds, ground up egg shells, chopped up bannana pells, bone meal,and tomatoe fertilizer then poured boiling water over mix and let it cool. Then I put it around pepper plants and watered real heavy.Think it was 7 or 10 days and there was a great improvemeant / new growth & blooms. Still have a small leaf issue , but nothing like it was! If it keeps up I'm going to boil some hot peppers, leafs and all, let them cool, spray the plants. Hope this helps! Louie #7

Snails and slugs. Get stuff, just for them at the nursery. This is the first year I had to doctor for them before my tomatoes, peppers were on the plants, and so sure they will be ravaging soon on those. They love to take bites out. And can leave trails.

Check for earwigs, to do this, go out at night with a flashlight.

I think it is slugs which are eating your plants. In the heat of the day they hide under rocks et to keep cool. Leave some flat boards out in the garden. Turn them over to see what you find. There are slug pellets which work, but they are toxic to frogs. Try wood ash around the plant. In wet humid weather these creatures thrive. Good luck, and keep on top of it. Slugs can ravage a plant down to nothing in a day or two.

My pepper plants look exactly like this....except for the ones they pulled up whole little buggers!

yes green horned worms or tomato worms found one on pepper plant this morning had just about all leaves ate

Tomato worm