Spaghetti Squash Fritters
For a new twist on serving spaghetti squash try making it into tasty pan fried fritters. Include your favorite additions such as onion, cheese, or bacon and enjoy!
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
August 9, 2019
I've been getting a bit tired of spaghetti squash in the usual form I prepare it; with spaghetti sauce or as a layered lasagna. I tried turning them into crisp fritters and they were delightful. You can add whatever bits you like in them, I went with onions, bacon and Parmesan cheese.
If you'd like to bake these instead of fry them, lay fritter batter on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 400 F, 10-12 minutes per side.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 5 strips bacon
- vegetable or canola oil
- To cook your spaghetti squash, cut in half and place facing downwards on a plate with a bit of water in the center. Microwave for about 8-10 minutes until fully cooked. Scrape with a fork to get about 3 cups of squash strands out and allow to cool down a bit, then wring out all the moisture. Don't skip out this drying procedure or else you'll have gummy fritters!
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Whisk in the flour until thoroughly combined.
- Add the spaghetti squash, Parmesan cheese, onions, and some salt and pepper. I went easy on the salt as the cheese had enough saltiness. Let this mixture sit while you prepare the bacon.
- Cook bacon over medium-high heat until crispy. Drain on paper towel. Keep the rendered bacon grease in the pan if you'd like to fry your fritters in them.
- Crumble bacon into little pieces and stir into the batter.
- Heat pan over high heat and use bacon grease or oil of your choice. Use 2 spoons to make a mound of batter and drop into pan. Press down so they are nice big round discs. Add as many as you can without them touching or crowding the pan.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes (depending on the size you chose), then flip over carefully and fry another few minutes until golden on both sides.
- Drain on paper towel before serving.
- Serve with sour cream, Greek yogurt, or any sauce of your choice. I like a mix of garlic powder, mustard, hot sauce, Greek yogurt and honey.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.