Spice Drop Roses

I used these roses for many years because I didn't know how to make the usual kind. And I have been meaning to share this with all my friends at Thriftyfun for quite some time. I cannot tell you just how many times I bought a bag of spice drops to put this together and take pictures, and I cannot tell you how many times my husband and I ate all the spice drops. But, this time I brought them home and immediately made my roses and took the pictures. And then, immediately ate the roses. I cannot tell you the origin of this project as I began using this 50 years ago to decorated a birthday cake for my daughter.

Total Time: 30 minutes including set up time for several roses

1. Choose candies in the colors that you want for your roses. I have chosen red for the petals and green for the leaves.
  2. Pour a little sugar on the work area.
  3. Flatten the candies with a rolling pin. If they get sticky, just dip them into your saucer of sugar or sprinkle sugar over them.
  4. Ad

5. Continue to roll them out until they are thin enough to roll up.
  6. Following the images, cut the green in the shape of leaves. You can use kitchen shears or a knife, whichever you prefer for all the cutting in this project.
  7. Ad

8. For the flower, cut your drop in half. Roll the first half up rather tightly. Squeeze gently at the cut edge of this roll-up. Then add the other half, not rolling so tightly. Squeeze gently once more. You will see this roll up "magically" turn into rose petals. You can then trim any excess from the bottom so that it will be flat to arrange on your cake.
  9. Arrange 2 or 3 leaves on the cake, and add a dot of icing where they come together and set your rose into the icing to hold it in place.
  10. Ad

11. If you like you can make some of them as rosebuds, but using only the first half of the rose.

Love it!

Anonymous

I have used this method of making flowers for many years and for the same reason LOL...they taste so much better than icing flowers & mine looked a lot better than icing ones as well.

Great! Totally going to use this method.

Mmmmmm, now I'm thinking candy :)

I too have made these roses for my cakes for many years and for the same reason. They are not as sweet as icing flowers, they are prettier..maybe a little time consuming but worth it for sure.

Love them!! Love the idea and love them to eat!