Squirrels Eating from Suet Feeder

How can I stop squirrels from eating out of my hanging suet bird feeder?

Best Answer

I have read many times that red pepper (Cayenne) would make the squirrels leave the food along but the squirrels in my area must love hot stuff because it does not even slow them down.
The only way that I have found to conquer this problem was to attach the suet cages on the bird feeders and I use baffles on all my bird feeder poles and keep them away from any hanging branches.
Some bird feeders have suet cages attached and baffles can be bought at most all stores like Walmart, Target, Lowe's or Ace Hardware or farm supply stores. Some people make their own baffles.
The squirrels in my area have plenty to eat without eating the suet I make for my birds.

When I first moved to this town I had trouble with the squirrels eating the birdseed. The easiest solution I found was to give them their own feeders. I used a large, 4 qt, ice cream bucket and put in dried dog or cat food, nuts, dried bread.

anything that they like to eat, including a little bird seed or dried corn. I hanged it on a limb close to the trunk nd they left the bird feeders alone.

Switch to plain suet, without nuts or seeds, or put the suet in a cage.

Thank you for your reply. The suet is hanging in a cage, I will try the plain suet !!

From WildBirdsUnited:

"Squirrels taste the hot and don't like it, birds can't taste the hot. We especially like our locally made suet log feeders filled with hot pepper suet plugs."