Stains on Formica

How can I clean my formica countertop which is badly stained with all kinds of dirty marks?

railroader

Answers:

Stains on Formica

Hi,
The question about how to get out Formica stains...this is one I have a lot of experience with. Although I hate using any toxic cleaners, I've never had good luck w/ Formica stains using baking soda, or vinegar, etc. The only thing that, unfortunately, works like a charm and very quickly is old-fashioned bleach. I squeeze out a wet sponge, pour some bleach on it, and then wipe the Formica stains. If it's stubborn stains, leave it on for a minute before wiping away. Make sure to clean area with plain water very well afterward. This works so well, that ground-in dirt also comes clean. Good luck.

Arlene (08/07/2003)

By ThriftyFun

Stains on Formica

Hello Railroader,
In regard to your formica counter tops: I have tried several methods to clean mine. The only one that worked was compound that is used on automobiles. Get one that has a fine grit. It takes some elbow grease to accomplish, but it works. After cleaning them, use car wax. It does not scratch them. You will have to re-polish about every 3 months.

- Faye (08/09/2003)

By ThriftyFun

Stains on Formica

I just used a paste of baking soda and white vinegar to remove a stain made by the purple dye of a flower pot wrapping. The Formica is light green in color. It worked! I let it sit for 10 minutes and rubbed gently with a paper towel for less than a minute. The new formica material stains more easily than the old. You'd think it would be better. (01/08/2006)

By KW

Stains on Formica

I had brown stains from I don't know what, on my cream colored formica counter top and used the vinegar and baking soda paste. It worked with a lot of scrubbing with a scrubby sponge. Bleach wouldn't even remove these stains. (08/29/2007)

By Colleen

Stains on Formica

I took the baking soda/vinegar 10 minute advice. It worked so well, now the rest of the counter looks stained! (09/11/2008)

By Christy

Stains on Formica

That has got to be the coolest thing I have ever seen! I thought I'd never get the stains out of my kitchen counter with the baking soda/vinegar combo. (01/15/2009)

By Lisa

Stains on Formica

Our counter top is formica, 21 years old and an almond color. It looked a bit dull, and had 2 cup ring marks that I could not remove. I made a heavy paste of baking soda and vinegar and left it for 20 minutes. After rubbing, rinsing thoroughly, and drying completely with a soft dish towel, it looks like brand new. (01/17/2009)

By Shirley H.

Stains on Formica

Do NOT use bleach! I have white, speckled formica in my kitchen and used bleach on a couple of well used areas which had a slight brownish stain. The bleach caused an alarming much browner stain! Thanks to advice found online, I got Mr. Clean Magic Eraser which is working. I got the original version, but my hardware store also had a newer, stronger one. The kind I got consists of white sponges which you just wet with water then gently rub the formica surface. (01/26/2009)

By Patty

Stains on Formica

Yeah, I can attest bleach, truly my favorite cleaner, has let me down on this one. I was trying to get rid of some mildew on my bathroom sink. It stained the white formica yellow-green. Don't do it! I'll try the baking soda. (02/07/2009)

By Patrick