"Stationary" vs "Stationery" - Grammar Tips

Category Self Help
Many words in the English language with very similar spellings are commonly confused. There are some easy tips that can help you remember the difference. This is a guide about "stationary" vs "stationery" - grammar tips.

I know this isn't exactly a thrifty tip. Still, since so much is done in print and via email these days, avoiding even seemingly small misspellings and typos can make you more marketable in a tough economy. Attention to detail will set you above the crowd.

To know whether to use "stationary" or "stationery" in a sentence, use this simple mnemonic:

STATIONARY = You AREN'T moving
STATIONERY = PAPER.

Happy writing!

Source: Seeing a misspelled instance reminded me of my English classes of long ago.

JustPlainJo, Springfield, Ohio

Great tip.Thanks.

Loved it. Spelling, as you get older seems to fade, just because of not using it on a daily basis.

On the internet lots has come back but tips like this are super for my tired brain.

This reminds me of my bane: I could never remember how to spell promise until I figured out it contains no 'ice'.

This was a good tip; and it made me think of another one that I see all the time "then" and "than". I can't believe how often I see someone write "I did this, than I did that." Or, "This is bigger then that." I guess then goes with when, so maybe that is a good way to remember. :)