Steamed Fiddleheads Recipe

Category Side Dishes
Fern fiddleheads are quite nutritious but can taste bitter if not prepared correctly. Make some steamed fiddleheads next time you want a healthy and unusual side dish.

Fiddleheads are a fern that are harvested as a vegetable. They are full of vitamin A and C as well as a good source of fibre and omega 3 fatty acids. They are a spring time vegetable that taste very similar to asparagus. I am steaming these but fiddleheads can also be used in soup, salad and pastas.

They are usually available fresh at the local markets or they can be found in the frozen food section in most grocery stores. You can also harvest your own. They grow along the river edge in some areas.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 3-4

• 1 lb fresh fiddleheads
  • 6 - 8 cups water
  • salt and pepper
  • lemon
  • butter

1. Cut of the ends off of fiddleheads. Rinse well under cold water.
  2. Put fiddleheads in colander, and place over a pot of water.
  3. Cover and bring the water to a boil.
  4. Steam the fiddleheads for 20 minutes or until they are cooked to your liking.
  5. Add butter, salt and pepper and a squirt of lemon juice if you wish. Serve immediately.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Anonymous

Thank you for this most informative post. I never knew, or even considered, that fiddleheads were edible. I'm certain they are not available in my area. Maybe a couple hours drive to a posh restaurant in Charlotte or Atlanta?

I have learned something, today. I will keep it in mind. If I ever have the chance to try steamed fiddleheads, i will do so.

Thanks, again.

You are welcome. I do hope that you get to try them some day.