Store Salad Greens With a Paper Towel

I always buy the big containers of organic greens. Every time I went to use them, the moisture from the greens would make under the lid wet. I got so aggravated, because the greens would be soggy and go to waste, and they are not cheap.

My tip is this: when you open the greens wipe the lid off. Then lay a piece of dry paper towel on top of the greens, and replace the lid. The paper towel absorb the moisture. I do this every time now and it works just lovely.

By Tammy from Canada

Answers:

Store Salad Greens With a Paper Towel

I do that, too :-) I like to prepare food ahead, enough for a few days ... I cut up the greens myself and they stay fresh just over a week and a half :-) Another trick to keep the greens fresh is to not place other cut up veggies (like tomatoes, they go in to their own containers) in with the greens until you're actually having the salad :-) (04/23/2009)

By Ann

Store Salad Greens With a Paper Towel

If you buy lettuce by the head, store it with a paper towel when you get it home. I cut the end of the leaf lettuce off, rinse the lettuce,let it dry in the colander, then wrap a piece of paper toweling around the lettuce and store it in the same bag. I close the bag but don't twist-tie it. I may have to trim the ends, but the lettuce stays fresh for the weeks' salads. (04/24/2009)

By susan winship