Store Toothbrush In Hydrogen Peroxide

I now keep a small jar in my bathroom on the sink filled with hydrogen peroxide. When I finish brushing my teeth, I place my toothbrush into the jar. I know my brush is clean and safe the next time I brush my teeth.

By Marie from North Texas

I have done this for years. Also I use it full strength for mouthwash. Whitens teeth, and gets rid of any mouth sores.

H2O2 does not kill bacteria. In fact if it sits for long it turns back into water where bacteria grow. If you want to disinfect your tooth brushes rinse them in alcohol or put them in the silverware compartment of your dishwasher as I do.

Every article on toothbrush care says not to put your toothbrush in a dishwasher.

I dip my toothbrush in a small bottle of peroxide I keep by the sink. I then put it in the toothbrush holder to dry. By the time it is dry it has been disinfected. I have done this for years. Peroxide does kill germs...and very effectively. It does degrade over time and becomes water, but this requires contact with other chemicals. It is a great way to bleach your teeth. Do treat it with respect. Highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide is used as rocket fuel.

I would think that if you use the same hydrogen peroxide for a while that it's going to be contaminated from what's on your toothbrush....maybe not, I don't know but I think it would be better to just soak in a small amount of it or in vinegar and then pitch.

Marie, did you know that peroxide breaks down quickly. I've been looking at several posts about sanitizing your toothbrush & the first one I read recommended using it to sanitize your brush, but it went on to say that peroxide breaks down very quickly.

So you may want to switch methods.

I like to pour a cap full of quality mouthwash to dip my toothbrush in for killing germs. I think it's a more effective disinfectant than the over the counter Hydrogen Peroxide solution.

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomFebruary 3, 2012
📓
🐛
🌻