Storing Bulbs

Category Bulbs
Bulbs and rhizomes are one of the easiest ways to have showy spring and summer flowers. Here are tips for storing your bulbs until it is the right time to plant. This is a guide for storing bulbs.

If you look closely at the picture, you will see I made a mistake. I was wrong in the placement of some of the bulbs. There's no real harm done at this point because I have time to correct my mistake.

Whether you store bulbs in a box of dry sand, Perlite, or other medium, or whether you hang them in a material that permits good passage of air, always be sure to position the bulbs upside down.

Keeping the tops of the bulbs facing downward signals the bulbs to stay asleep. By staying in a deeper state of dormancy, they are less likely to start sprouting before it's time to set them in the ground.

Sprouting too early can interrupt the bloom cycle, or when planted, the sprouts may rot and destroy the bulb.

These bulbs have about four more weeks in storage. I will re-position the upright bulbs and re-hang the lot. All should be well come mid April when I set them out. My Hymenocallis narcissiflora or H. festalis, which ever they are, should be filling the air with a delicious and unique scent come late summer.

I store my bulbs (and various other flower seeds) in the drawers of an old dresser in the basement. It's provides plenty of cool, dark space, and keeps things not-too-dry and not-too-moist (and quite tidy). I line the drawers with a little newspaper and fill the "bulb" drawers with an inch or two of slightly moist peat moss to keep bulbs from drying out.

You can keep these bulb types together because they have similar storage requirements and both do well at 45°F to 50°F. If you don't have an old dresser use a shallow under-the-bed plastic storage bin (without the cover), a burlap sack, or a bushel basket. Plastic organizer towers with pull out drawers would work also, providing you make modifications for air circulation. Cover the bulbs with sphagnum moss or sawdust to keep them from drying out. Check them periodically for shriveling and add a little moisture to plump them back up if necessary. Don't store them more than 2 deep, especially if yours are really big, or they will generate enough heat to cause decay.

This is a guide about digging up and storing tender bulbs. While some plants that grow from bulbs, corms, or tubers do well in colder zones during the spring and summer, they may need to be overwintered to save them for next year.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about storing spring flowering bulbs. Bulbs can be left in the ground year after year, but some gardeners prefer to dig them up after flowering and store for the next season.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How can I save my iris that I have dug up and do not want to replant until next spring?

Answers

First make sure they are dried. The place in a dark, cool place. Then coat them in powdered sulfur, which serves as anti fungal. "The last step in storing iris rhizomes is to wrap each rhizome in a piece of newspaper and place in a box. Put the box in a cool, dry place. Every few weeks, check on the iris rhizomes to make sure that rot has not set in. If the iris rhizomes start to rot, they will feel soft and mushy instead of firm" https://www.gar … ris-rhizomes.htm

I store my plants in individual paper bags in my basement, where it is cool and dry.

I have received bulbs and rhizomes that I can't get planted this year, how can I store them for next year? They are irises and gladiolas. It gets below zero here in western Colorado.

By Kim from Crawford, CO

Answers

I live in Minnesota and have lots of iris and you can plant iris now and they will grow in spring. But not Glads have to be dug each fall and stored in a dry, cool place and replanted in spring.

Does anyone know if you can freeze tulip bulbs until you are ready to plant them in the fall?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Linda

Answers

Spread the tulip bulbs on a layer of newspapers to dry. Step 2Spread a layer of vermiculite, dry sand or peat moss in the bottom of a flat tray or container without a lid.

Step 3Place the dry tulip bulbs in the container. Make sure they have air circulation and that they are only one layer thick.

Step 4Put the tray or container of bulbs in a dark, cool place that has low humidity and plenty of ventilation. Too much humidity will cause the bulbs to rot. A garage is a good place if the temperature remains cool but doesn't drop below freezing. Good luck.

I'm a gardener in Oman where the summer temperatures are over 40 degrees C (104 F) and this is from May up to September. Our gardening season starts in October and continues to April. I would like to know how to store my geranium plants and also my dahlia tubers. Previously I haven't had success in storing dahlia tubers.

By mrsikmal55

How do I keep tulip bulbs for planting next year?

By Wanda