Stovetop Potato Leek Soup
This easy to make potato leek soup is the perfect chilly weather meal!
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
Total Time: 1 hr 40 min
Source: Food Network (Alton Brown recipe)
- 1 lb leeks (approx. 4-5 medium or 2 large)
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4-5 small Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 qt vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- heavy pinch kosher salt
- fresh chives
- Clean the leeks and remove the dark green portion.
- Chop leeks into small pieces.
- Melt the butter in a heavy pot, over medium heat. Add a heavy pinch of salt.
- Add the leeks and sweat them for 5 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender (approx. 25 minutes). Stirring occasionally.
- Wash, peel, and dice the potatoes into small cubes.
- Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth to the pot. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft (approx. 45 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream, buttermilk, and white pepper. Add additional seasoning, if desired.
- Top soup with snipped chives. Enjoy!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!