Strawberry Pot for Herbs

I have had this terra cotta strawberry pot for years. I have often planted strawberries, although I can't keep the slugs from eating them. My friend had a similar pot with succulents. It looks more beautiful every year and I was tempted to do the same, but I decided I would rather have herbs.

I bought several herbs at my local garden store and filled up each pocket with a different one. I planted thyme in the top so it can spread out. I also have 3 kinds of lavender, rosemary, sage, parsley, basil, and tarragon. I still need one more for the final pocket. I'm worried about the basil as I think it will be too dried out. If it doesn't make it, I'll replace it with something hardier.

I think it looks beautiful on my front doorstep. I'm particularly fond of how the thyme is currently in bloom.

Looks nice.

What with the herbs being aromatic, slugs might not be a problem. If you ever decide to try strawberries again you might want to try placing the pot in a large terra cotta saucer. with a layer of sharp sand or crushed egg shells added. Non toxic and reported to work.

That's a good idea. I was thinking of something hanging, perhaps. It's so cheap to get them at the farmer's market that I haven't bothered for a few years.

I have seen people lay down sandpaper squares outlined in copper tape. They would place the strawberry right in the middle. Seems like a lot of work but it would probably do the trick too.

Home and Garden Gardening HerbsMay 12, 2020
🎆
🐛
👔
🌻
😷
😎