Stuffed Green Pepper Soup

Ingredients

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups diced onion
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups diced sweet pepper (bell or banana)
  • 1 t. minced garlic
  • 1 quart tomato juice
  • Ad

• 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup rice, uncooked

Directions

Cook beef, onion, and pepper until meat is no longer pink and onion is clear. Stir in garlic and cook for a minute or so. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and cook until rice is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I doubled the amount of tomato juice, water, and rice, so it would make more. It worked just fine.

For a richer broth, add 1 tsp. instant coffee.

Source: I saw a restaurant on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives serving a similar soup, but they don't give the recipe on that show, so I made up my own, using the ingredients that are in my regular stuffed peppers.

By Gayle from Kentucky

Answers:

Stuffed Pepper Soup

I LOVE stuffed peppers! I can't wait to try your recipe. :) (10/09/2008)

By Liz Orr

Stuffed Pepper Soup

This is interesting and a must try for me. (10/09/2008)

By Savings Assistant

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Love stuffed peppers but never thought of making it into soup. It sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it. Thank you (10/09/2008)

By Beverly Ross

Stuffed Pepper Soup

I made this soup last week, ate it all week long, and still was not tired of it, it's that good. The recipe I used included the following variations:

• 2 lbs. ground beef
  • 2 medium green peppers, chopped
  • 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 28 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup uncooked white rice (not instant)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Just brown the ground beef in a dutch oven, drain, and then add the rest. Cook for 30-40 minutes over low heat.

I was thinking of adding onions to the beef, but didn't. I think next time I will, as you have. Thanks for reminding me to make another big pot of soup this weekend! (10/10/2008)

By Mary

Stuffed Pepper Soup

I make a large batch of stuffed peppers so I have leftovers. For the sauce, I just use tomato soup. The next day, I cut up the leftover stuffed peppers, add beef broth to the sauce. Good flavor and I get two good meals. Any leftovers can be frozen in single serving containers for lunches. (04/15/2010)

By Judy