Substitute for Heavy Whipping Cream

Category Substitutions
Since many of us don't typically have or use heavy whipping cream, we may need to identify a substitute rather than run to the store. This is a guide about substitute for heavy whipping cream.

Can Greek yogurt be used to replace whipping cream in a scalloped potato recipe?

By Joan from Lowell, IN

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Yogurt won't withstand the heat you need for the sauce and will separate plus the overall flavor of the recipe would be compromised. Here's a 1 cup substitution:

3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter (preferably unsalted), melted

Best Answer

Just use plain ole milk! Any kind of milk will work.

I know it's low carb, but it's full of saturated fat. I can't bring myself to use it in good conscience. Any substitute suggestions?

Thanks,
Holly

Feedback:

Hi, Holly!

It depends on how you are using your heavy whipping cream! Sometimes, a baking recipe, such as scones, requires heavy whipping cream. In that case, you can use light whipping cream, whole milk, low fat milk, or skim milk.

Remember, fat adds flavor and makes cakes and other baked goods moist, so the results will not be the same. If you are trying to make whipped cream, then my only suggestion would be to use light whipping cream and control your portion sizes.

Thanks!
Jennifer

Substitute for Heavy Whipping Cream

Try canned evaporated milk (low-fat or fat-free) frozen. Pour into aluminum ice tray (without dividers!) and freeze until very mushy. Immediately whip and use. I have found it breaks down a bit quicker than regular whipped cream, so use it right away. (07/14/2005)

By Exasperated

Substitute for Heavy Whipping Cream

If you're using it for whipping; try meringue. For cooking try substituting plain non fat yogurt, with certain recipes I use vanilla yogurt. (07/14/2005)

By nancibaren

Substitute for Heavy Whipping Cream

I use fat-free evaporated milk in recipes that call for cream, especially good to make fat-free "cream" soups. (07/14/2005)

By Linda

Substitute for Heavy Whipping Cream

I have used FAGE brand Greek yogurt in a lot of cases where whipped cream would be good. It is not tart like most yogurts. The only place I have gotten it is at trader Joe's, but maybe other Greek stores would be a good source. It is heavier than whipped cream. (06/11/2008)

By meesterpaulyour

Substitute for Heavy Whipping Cream

My 10 year old son and I came up with something that worked very well. We used 2/3 cup of butter, melted together with a little shy of a cup of milk. Stuck it in the freezer just a few minutes to "cool" it down and we had heavy cream. (02/23/2009)

By Nan

I was making a caramel sauce and needed 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and did not have any, so I substituted 6 tablespoons of whipped dessert topping and it worked fine.

By Bradley

Feedback:

Substitution For Heavy Whipping Cream

Let me get this clear, do you mean Cool Whip or canned Whipped cream, like Reddi Whip?

This is a substitution for Whipping cream that I have picked up from someone, but have never tried it. Thought I would share it with you.

Whipped Carnation Evaporated Milk Topping:

Sweeten evaporated milk with powdered sugar and a touch of vanilla before whipping it into a foamy topping for coca, pie or fresh fruit. A bit of gelatin will give it staying power for a beautiful presentation.

• 1 Cup Carnation Evaporated Milk
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pour evaporated milk into small mixer bowl; place beaters into mixture. Freeze for about 30 minutes or until ice crystals form around edge of bowl.

Beat on high speed for 1 minute or until very frothy. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract; continue beating for 2 minutes until mixture is stiff. Serve immediately spooned over fresh fruit or your favorite dessert.

NOTE: For whipped Nestle carnation evaporated milk that holds up to 30 minutes; sprinkle 1 teaspoon gelatin over 2 tablespoons water in small, microwave safe bowl; let stand for 2 minutes. Microwave on high (100%) power for 40 seconds, stir. Let stand for additional 2 minutes or until dissolved. Pour 1 cup Nestle Carnation Evaporated Milk or Evaporated Fat Free Milk and dissolved gelatin into small mixer bowl; follow recipe for Whipped Topping. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 30 minutes. (11/18/2008)

By Barbara