Suggestions for Altering Clothing

I need help altering clothes due to weight loss. Any suggestions to help would be appreciated.

By Karen from Winona, WV

The most obvious way of altering clothing is to take in the side seams. Put on the garment inside out & then pin the cloth to the desired fit, you then sew along the pins on a sewing machine (although I have done it by hand occasionally). My mother took in all of her old knit slacks that way when she lost weight. (If you want to take in more at the front, say, you might have to take off the waistband.) You can also make any darts larger. Of course, then, trim off the excess fabric & press down the new seams. (Here's where loosely fitting clothing shows how practical those pieces are, as you can just belt them in tighter, this even works for some pants, or you can simply shorten any elastic in a casing along the waist.)

Here's an easy way to put some elastic in pants that are just a little too big that you aren't ready to give away yet. On the inside only of the back waistband cut a slit over near each side seam. Thread elastic (about 1 inch wide works fine) through along the back with a big safety pin.

Use smaller safety pins to anchor the elastic at each end. Voila! One size smaller!

I put the pins on the outside since I never tuck in any of my tops, but you can put the pins on the inside if you tuck in your tops. Also, I use old suspender elastic sometimes. My husband gave me a bunch of them when he retired and quit dressing up in suits.

This site has some fantastic tutorials for sewing. Their "refashioning & upcycling" section has some great instructions for re-sizing clothes.

www.allfreesewing.com/Refashioning-and-Upcycling

Crafts Clothing AlterationsOctober 12, 2011
🎂
🎃
🌻