Sun Drying Fruits and Vegetables

Category Drying
If you live in the right environment, an easy, cost effective way to dry your fruits and vegetables is by using the sun on outside drying racks. This is a guide about sun drying fruits and vegetables.

We replaced our patio screen door last year because the cheap aluminum frame got bent when someone (not me) walked through the closed door. I didn't know where to dispose of the old door and then I had the idea to use it as a drying rack for sweet red peppers and herbs. I replaced the screen and my rack worked wonderfully.

On sunny days I set it outside with the four corners supported off the ground by empty 5 gallon wine pails. Cement blocks would probably work too. Warm and breezy days were my favorite. At night I brought it into the garage against possible rain and raccoons.

The peppers took 5 days to become brittle and the basil and wild garlic only took 3 to become dry. Next year I plan to try sun dried tomatoes.

And also, I used it once as a drying rack for a crocheted sweater that couldn't be hung out on the line.