Sweet and Sour Catfish Soup Recipe
A healthy, delicious soup made with a popular southern fish. This page contains a sweet and sour catfish soup
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a very delicious and healthy soup!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 people
- 3 lb cat fish
- 5 stems garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1/2 bunch dill
- 5 tomato
- 1 pack taro stem
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1 gal water
- At the store the cat fish has been cleaned and cut into pieces. When I go home, I clean it again quickly with salt.
- Wash and prep vegetables. Slice tomatoes. Chop green onions and dill.
- Peel taro and slice thin.
- You can use canned pineapple if you do not have fresh pineapple on hand. Just drain the liquid of the pineapple. For me, I used fresh pineapple diced.
- In a pot add oiled heat until hot. Smash garlic and sauté until garlic is yellow. Then add one gallon of water. Bring to a boil. Then add catfish. This process takes about 15 minutes.
- Now reduce heat to medium. Add salt, sugar, and fish sauce. Once boiled use a spoon to remove the bubbles. This process takes about 10 minutes.
- Add taro stem, tomatoes, pineapple and the juice of one lemon into the soup. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Top off the soup with dill and green onions. It is ready to serve.
May 20, 20170 found this helpful
All your recipes are great. I have a shellfish allergy, so I have to modify some of them. I have a question about the fish sauce ingredients.
My research says there is fish in fish sauce (news flash), but I want to make sure there is no shellfish in fish sauce. Would you or anyone else reading this know? Thanks in advance.
May 22, 20170 found this helpful
I went and read my bottle of fish sauce in the kitchen. They are black anchovies that have been salted and then kept in a wooden barrel for a year, then pressed. No shellfish so you should be in the clear.
May 23, 20170 found this helpful
Thank you! I hope you're able to replicate to your tasting! The fish sauce I have ingredients just says contains: fish (anchovy)