Sweet and Sour Catfish Soup Recipe

Category Soups
A healthy, delicious soup made with a popular southern fish. This page contains a sweet and sour catfish soup.

This is a very delicious and healthy soup!

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 4 people

• 3 lb cat fish
  • 5 stems garlic
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 3 Tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 tsp vegetable oil
  • 1 bunch green onion
  • 1/2 bunch dill
  • 5 tomato
  • 1 pack taro stem
  • 1 cup pineapple
  • 1 gal water

1. At the store the cat fish has been cleaned and cut into pieces. When I go home, I clean it again quickly with salt.
  2. Wash and prep vegetables. Slice tomatoes. Chop green onions and dill.
  3. Peel taro and slice thin.
  4. You can use canned pineapple if you do not have fresh pineapple on hand. Just drain the liquid of the pineapple. For me, I used fresh pineapple diced.
  5. In a pot add oiled heat until hot. Smash garlic and sauté until garlic is yellow. Then add one gallon of water. Bring to a boil. Then add catfish. This process takes about 15 minutes.
  6. Now reduce heat to medium. Add salt, sugar, and fish sauce. Once boiled use a spoon to remove the bubbles. This process takes about 10 minutes.
  7. Ad

8. Add taro stem, tomatoes, pineapple and the juice of one lemon into the soup. Cook for 5 minutes.
  9. Top off the soup with dill and green onions. It is ready to serve.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Top Comment

All your recipes are great. I have a shellfish allergy, so I have to modify some of them. I have a question about the fish sauce ingredients.

My research says there is fish in fish sauce (news flash), but I want to make sure there is no shellfish in fish sauce. Would you or anyone else reading this know? Thanks in advance.

Top Comment

I went and read my bottle of fish sauce in the kitchen. They are black anchovies that have been salted and then kept in a wooden barrel for a year, then pressed. No shellfish so you should be in the clear.

Thank you! I hope you're able to replicate to your tasting! The fish sauce I have ingredients just says contains: fish (anchovy)