VegetableSoups

Taco Soup

I make a big pot of this easy and delicious soup every time I have leftover taco ingredients. I love the spicy flavors and hearty vegetables like zucchini, carrots and spinach. It's a great lunch or mid-afternoon snack for people on the go.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30+ minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 6-8

This is a "leftover" soup so many of the ingredients were prepared for dinner earlier in the week. Throw in leftover cilantro, salsa, hot sauce, bean or cheese dip, or any vegetables that you may have in the crisper, pantry or freezer. Just add water or broth to make it your desired thickness.

*Adjust spices according to your family's tastes. I usually will add in more of one spice or another after the soup has cooked for awhile. I also always add in more hot sauce or chili powder after I dish up my serving because I like it a lot hotter than my kids.

1. Heat large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add oil.
  2. Ad

3. Saute onions, garlic, and jalapeños until softened and translucent.
  4. Add in ground beef, zucchini, and carrots. Cook until the zucchini is softened.
  5. Add tomatoes, beans, broth, and spices. Stir well and bring to a gentle boil.
  6. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover soup pot. Cook on medium low for at least 20 minutes.
  7. Add chopped spinach about 5 minutes before serving.

If you love your slow cooker or Instant Pot, this soup would be just as good there. You may just have to modify the cooking liquid amounts.

Top it with whatever taco ingredients you may not have used up yet; sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips.

Great way to use up taco left overs! Love it!