Taking Photos Of Your Baby

A few simple considerations and steps will help ensure that you take great baby pictures. This is a guide about taking photos of your baby.

There are a lot of cute ways to document how fast your little one grows in the first year. For our son, we took a picture each month on our sofa, joined by a stuffed gorilla (for scale) and a printed piece of paper with his age. It was so fun to see how much he had grown each month. We tried to always take the picture in the same spot, except for the few times that we were traveling.

If I could do it all again, I would have done a few things differently. I would have either, digitally added his month to the photo after, or had a cuter way to display his month in the photo. Also I would have tried to do a better job of taking the photos from the same angle and distance, so his growth would have shown better as you flipped through the photos. That said, I am really happy with the outcome and so glad that I got myself together enough to get the photo taken each month. I plan to continue as he ages through the years, although I may change the style in which I do them.

Here are more ideas for first year month by month photos:

• Use a different backdrop each month but have the child in the same outfit, such as a white onesie.

• Have the same stuffed animal in each photo in order to show scale.Use a small framed chalkboard to write the months on.

• Make paper ties with the month printed on it.

• Make a paper flower with the month printed in the middle

• Have a balloon for each month tied to the chair baby is sitting in.

Photo Description
This year a friend of mine welcomed a new angel into our world, baby Joseph. At a month old, little Joseph had only had photos taken from cell phones and the family wanted something a bit more special.

I grabbed my camera and we headed to RSM Lake here in Southern California. We wanted to take enough photos to make a little baby book for Joseph and had a lot of fun putting together different poses and using props to create scenes.

At the time of the shoot, none of us had this specific type of photo in mind. Without extra lighting, a studio, and professional backgrounds, I thought this type of shot would be impossible. But, with a little advice from a photographer friend of mine and lots of time playing with my editing program, I was surprisingly able to produce a finished photo that I was proud of.

I showed it to the family to make sure it's something they would want in their book and was shocked when the mother started to cry. She never in her life thought she could have a photo like this of her children, as she does not have the money to pay what Orange County photographers charge.

Needless to say, I feel blessed to have been able to give her such joy. Any time God gives me the chance to spread joy in His world, I feel blessed. This photo isn't as professional as I am sure someone could have done in a studio, but I was proud of it and wanted to share it with all of you here. Thank you so much for reading my little story! I hope you all have a very blessed week!

Photo Location
Rancho Santa Margarita Lake, California

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Here is a photo I did of my one month old. It was really fun getting this scene set up and trying to set him down carefully while he was still asleep. He kept waking up so it was a bit difficult to get the shot I wanted. I plan to continue to make scenes like this as he grows.

Maybe next time I will try and build the scene around him while he is sleeping. Anyone have any suggestions for scenes I should try to do with him?

By Stella Bella from Manchester, WA

Baby lying on a sheet with other sheets and paper cutouts arrange to make it look as though he is surfing.

Comment Like this photo? 6

Photo Description
Here is another baby scene I did with my 2 month old. He was born in the year of the dragon, according to the Chinese calendar. I thought doing a scene with him riding on a dragon was fitting.

Comment Like this photo? Yes