Taking Photos of Your Garden

By following a few simple tips you can capture and save the beauty of your garden by taking photos for a scrapbook, wall art, or future garden planning. This is a guide about taking photos of your garden.

Breaking the rules of photography can capture some glorious surprise results. Like shooting into the sun when photographing your garden beauties.

By Gloria from Scottsville, NY

Me giving tips on photography is a bit far fetched. I know almost nothing on the subject. Still, we all had to start somewhere, and each of us might have picked up some different things along the way. My tip is 'Experiment with close up photography. You might be pleasantly surprised'.

Right now, I'm enjoying close up photography. I find that the camera can reveal things the naked eye either doesn't see, or the eye sees but is not presented to the conscious mind.

Away from close up for a minute. I just had an idea. As for the camera revealing things not normally seen on a conscious level, I invite you parents of teenagers to try an experiment.

Pick a time when the lad's/lass's room is at it's absolute worst. Rather than taking them to their room, opening the door and saying 'Just look at this mess. Get busy, like yesterday'!; you could take a picture of the room and present it to them instead.

I guarantee you, no matter how many things you would have pointed out about the messy room, the picture will reveal many more, right down to that sock half way out, half way under the desk. Didn't notice the sock with your naked eye, did you?

Now, back to close up. I think zooming in on a subject opens up another realm, again revealing beautiful detail the naked eye would miss. I can see several applications for this kind of picture. The first to come to mind is to have a particularly nice close up blown up large enough to be used as a wall hanging. Some of them would surely be conversation pieces.

While photographing this morning, I took a few close up shots. I hope you find them interesting. Keep in mind, I do not have a professional, expensive camera.

Picture 1 is of Arborvitae Emerald Green leaves. I find it particularly interesting.

Picture 2 is moss growing on a maple tree root.

Picture 3 is of an Aspidistra leaf. Rather stunning. I've named this picture 'Emeraude'. As art deco as it gets.

Picture 4 is of Russian comfrey Bocking 14 leaf. I bought several of these plants. When composted and used as a fertilizer, they are said to be better than any fertilizer you can buy. I grow them because they are such a beautiful plant.

Picture 5 is lichen growing on a maple tree root. Little niceties such as this seldom go unnoticed in my garden.

Picture 6 is a close up of the Turtlehead bloom.

Picture 6b. Here I have superimposed a picture of a real turtle head on a turtlehead bloom. Now, you can easily see how the plant got it's name.

Get close up with your camera. Get cozy with it, even!

I have gardened all my life. It has brought me much pleasure. Another dimension of pleasure was added when I began to photograph my gardens and plants. The camera picks up detail often missed by the naked eye.

The pictures are becoming keepsakes, and ultimately, a means of sharing with others around the world.

I haven't had camera as long as most of you. I've just been picking up bits of information as I need it. I wouldn't know an 'f' stop from a short stop with the New York Yankees.

I've always heard though about the wonders of early morning light. It is a great time to take pictures.

You may not have many (if any) flowers blooming in your garden right now, but the winter season still offers some great opportunities for photographing your garden.

A lot of us are proud of our moonflower vines. We like to take pictures of them in bloom. With the blooms opening at night, we aren't always able to get the picture we would like.

Some cameras take better night pictures than others. Even so, the more natural light available, the better.

Throughout the spring and summer, snap photos of your gardens so that when planning the next year's gardens, you can refer to photos and decide what to plant where, what needs to be moved to where, etc. Unless you have a steel trap mind, this is very handy for remembering!

Today I went outside and was enjoying my garden so much, and I had an idea. I went around with my cell phone and took pictures of my favorite flowers in bloom. I have about 8 pictures that I can use as wallpaper on my phone.

These pictures will to remind me of my lovely flowers in the dead of winter. I also managed to get a picture of a beautiful yellow monarch on our butterfly bush. What a treat!

This is a beautiful photo of the work of spring, both gardener and wildlife. Take floral photos with an interesting theme. Normally it is a patience game, just keep an open eye and have a little free time.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
While I was taking pictures of my roses, I decided to get really close. This is what it looks like with the sun shining through it. I love it!

Photo Location
Loyall, KY

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2