How to Make a Tape Measure Flower Brooch
Whether for yourself or as a gift for a friend that sews, this project is sure to create a conversation piece. This is a guide about how to make a tape measure flower brooch.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I saw a similar brooch on Pinterest and decided to make a couple for myself and my mom. I love how it turned out!
- cloth tape measure
- pin back
- embroidery floss
- E6000 glue
- small wire cutters, optional
- Use a pair of wire cutters to cut the button shank off, if necessary.
- Determine how long each length of your tape measure should be, to get the look you want. I test fitted my button and decided on using 6 inch pieces.
- Cut four lengths of tape measure.
- Bring the 2 ends around and into the middle, creating two loops. Use a needle and embroidery floss (3 strands) to sew the ends in place. See photo below. I chose to do two that showed inches and two that showed centimeters. Note: I tried using hot glue and found that it didn't adhere well to the surface. All of my loops popped apart. :(
- Arrange the "petals" on top of each other. Use a needle and embroidery floss (3 strands) to sew them together through the center.
- Apply E6000 glue to the center of the flower and to the back of the button. Let them sit apart for 2 minutes before sticking them together. Allow glue to dry completely before handling.
- Now apply E6000 glue to the back of the flower and attach the pin back. Allow glue to dry completely before wearing. Enjoy!
June 21, 20173 found this helpful
Take an ordinary tape measure, a button and a pin back to create this pretty flower brooch. Learn how to make it in this short video.
May 8, 20140 found this helpful
A tape measure flower pin is the perfect gift for a friend that loves to sew or quilt. This is a guide about making a tape measure flower pin.