How to Make a Tape Measure Flower Brooch
Whether for yourself or as a gift for a friend that sews, this project is sure to create a conversation piece. This is a guide about how to make a tape measure flower brooch.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I saw a similar brooch on Pinterest and decided to make a couple for myself and my mom. I love how it turned out!
- cloth tape measure
- pin back
- embroidery floss
- E6000 glue
- small wire cutters, optional
- Use a pair of wire cutters to cut the button shank off, if necessary.
- Determine how long each length of your tape measure should be, to get the look you want. I test fitted my button and decided on using 6 inch pieces.
- Cut four lengths of tape measure.
- Bring the 2 ends around and into the middle, creating two loops. Use a needle and embroidery floss (3 strands) to sew the ends in place. See photo below. I chose to do two that showed inches and two that showed centimeters. Note: I tried using hot glue and found that it didn't adhere well to the surface. All of my loops popped apart. :(
- Arrange the "petals" on top of each other. Use a needle and embroidery floss (3 strands) to sew them together through the center.
- Apply E6000 glue to the center of the flower and to the back of the button. Let them sit apart for 2 minutes before sticking them together. Allow glue to dry completely before handling.
- Now apply E6000 glue to the back of the flower and attach the pin back. Allow glue to dry completely before wearing. Enjoy!
May 8, 20140 found this helpful
A tape measure flower pin is the perfect gift for a friend that loves to sew or quilt. This is a guide about making a tape measure flower pin.
June 21, 20173 found this helpful
Take an ordinary tape measure, a button and a pin back to create this pretty flower brooch. Learn how to make it in this short video.