Taping and Floating Mobile Home Panel Walls

In taking off the panel spacers, I found that the gaps are about 1/4 inch. The existing panels have beveled edges. So I have to put a lot of putty/float in the gaps. Is there something else I can do? Help!

By Curly from Freer, TX

Best Answer

I had the same problem. Filling it with Spackle will not work sadly, Even when it looks level and smooth when you go to paint u will see where the gap was. There will be an indent. I would use a filler such as a flexible caulk to fill it in most of the way then spackle over it. Depending on how wide your gaps are it may be beneficial to cut a strip of wood for a filler then spackle over it. Just make sure you wait for 48 hrs for your compound to dry and harden. Its recommended for 24 but with the amount of compound you will need you will need to wait longer.

We have painted over our glossy mobile home walls with much success.
We removed the strips and staples, then we sanded the glossy coating off the walls.

From that point on we treated the walls like newly hung drywall, taped and mudded the joints, added drywall screws at each stud (if you can call them studs) after several layers of mud and sanding in between layers they came out great, don't expect perfection everywhere. Then we primed and painted, it's a lot of work but well worth it.