Teaching Children About Personal Safety

Helping your children be aware of possible dangers is important. This page is about teaching children about personal safety.

My daughter plays a little game with my granddaughter that I think is smart. When I was visiting, she asked me to walk her to her school bus stop one morning. I did not have a clue what was coming but I was a proud mother of her grown daughter when I did find out.

As we were walking, my daughter drove by (she had on a hat and jacket with her collar turned up) and slowed down, rolled down her window and said "Hey little girl, I sure do like those pink shoes." My granddaughter looked away and kept walking. Then she said "Hey, I have a cool puppy you wanna see it." My granddaughter said "NOOOO, go away!" Then she screamed very loudly, "I don't know you! I don't know you. " At first I didn't know what to do, I was thinking "What will people think with her screaming like that?" My daughter got out of her car and they both high fived each other after a few minutes of the screaming.

A couple of days later she changed it up a bit. She told my granddaughter that she was going to shower but she snuck outside and rang the door bell. My granddaughter went to the door and asked who it was without opening the door. They went though a little game back and forth but she did not open the door.

At first I was worried that it would make her scared, but what my daughter said was she wants to make her aware. She said she changes up different scenarios but there is one main thing they do not change. They have a code word. It is their code and no one knows it. That way if anyone tells her mom sent them or mom said it was ok, she knows if they did or not.

By Meemaw

Last night, my husband went to the home of a potential customer by appointment. A small boy (perhaps four) opened the door. My husband asked if his daddy was home. The child said yes, and invited him in. My husband, being a reasonably prudent man, told the child to go get his daddy, while he waited outside the front door.

Ten minutes later, the child's father appeared, fresh from a shower. He had apparently gotten the time of the appointment confused, and at that point, my husband entered. There was jewelry, credit cards and house keys on the coffee table.

There ARE "bad" people out there. For those who just never thought of it, please, PLEASE train your children to never ever open the door to anyone, under any circumstances. Repeat, repeat. repeat the rules to your children. Have "someone at the door" drills. It could be a matter of life and death.

By Doggy from TX

Parenting General Parenting AdviceNovember 6, 2012
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-08 16:53:41 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️