Teppanyaki is a super fun and delicious table grill style meat and veggie feast that originated in Japan. It may not look like it, but you use so little food to prepare this. We call this our frugal fun meal. You cook the food yourself in front of you while sitting around an electric griddle, dip it in some sauces, and eat it with rice. It's so fun for groups and very romantic for two. If you've ever eaten at Benihana, this is the at-home version of that.
This recipe includes an easy to make soy ginger dipping sauce. Please also try my creamy dipping sauce which is great for the meats and veggies alike; recipe added in the link right below.
I use an electric griddle right on the table. You can also use a large pan and bring it to the table with a trivet underneath.
Total Time: 60 minutes of cooking and eating fun!
Yield: 4 servings
Source: My old family tradition
Link: Creamy Dipping Sauce Recipe
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large potato
- 1 zucchini
- 8 mushrooms
- 1/2 lb chicken
- 1/2 lb steak meat
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced thick
- 2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups steamed Japanese rice
- cooking oil
- Set the griddle to about 425F and grease with some oil. While the griddle is heating up, to make the sauce, mix together grated ginger, soy, and lemon juice in individual saucers.
- When griddle is hot, lay on the onions, carrots, potato, zucchini and mushrooms. Cook for a couple minutes.
- This is where the fun starts! Everyone grab a pair of wooden chopsticks and flip over the vegetables. As they shrink, add a bit more oil and start cooking the garlic and the meats.
- When both sides of the veggies are browned, dip into the sauces, then eat with rice. The meats will take a bit longer. Dip them when ready. I personally enjoy the veg with the soy dip and the meats with the creamy dip. As you keep eating the meat and veg, replace the empty spaces on the griddle with more from the raw platter. It's a fun cooking and eating experience for all!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!