Avgolemono Soup Recipes
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 267 Posts
May 26, 2020
Read More Comments
The addition of the egg and lemon makes a basic chicken soup into the ultimate comfort food. The finished dish is tangy and savory, with flavors reminiscent of egg drop soup. Best of all, it is easy to put together for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups chicken broth or stock*
- 2 cups chopped chicken*
- 1 cup rice
- juice of one lemon (about a half cup)
- 2 eggs
- herbs like parsley, dill and/or oregano as garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
*I used a rotisserie chicken for both the meat and the broth of this soup, made the night before. You can use leftover cooked chicken or add two cut up chicken breasts to the soup. Raw chicken should be added at the same time as the rice to allow time for it to cook.
- Sauté onion, celery, carrot and garlic in a large stockpot until just tender, about 5 minutes
- Add chicken broth and heat to just a boil. Add rice and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add chopped chicken to the pot and continue simmering.
- Beat eggs and lemon juice together and then continue to beat while tempering with two cups of the hot soup mixture. I had my husband help with this step in order to have the hot broth go in slowly. Going too fast will result in cooked eggs instead of a silky sauce.
- When the broth has been incorporated, add to the soup pot and remove from heat.
- Add herb garnish and serve.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 190 Feedbacks
October 1, 2013
I love Greek Lemon soup but don't always have the time to make it. This "shortened" version works great when the taste for the soup arises.Read More...
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.