Avgolemono Soup Recipes
This classic Greek recipe is flavored with lemons and eggs, resulting in a creamy and hearty soup. Chicken is a common starting point and rice or orzo are also usually included.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I love Greek Lemon soup but don't always have the time to make it as the homemade original version requires a lot of ingredients and steps to make it. So a long time ago, I saw this "shortened" version in a magazine and it works great when the taste for the soup arises.
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Source: In a magazine. Don't remember which one.
- 1 can Chicken with Rice soup
- 1 can Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
Directions:Mix all the ingredients together in a sauce pan and heat on top of the stove till warmed through. Eat and enjoy.
The addition of the egg and lemon makes a basic chicken soup into the ultimate comfort food. The finished dish is tangy and savory, with flavors reminiscent of egg drop soup. Best of all, it is easy to put together for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups chicken broth or stock*
- 2 cups chopped chicken*
- 1 cup rice
- juice of one lemon (about a half cup)
- herbs like parsley, dill and/or oregano as garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
*I used a rotisserie chicken for both the meat and the broth of this soup, made the night before. You can use leftover cooked chicken or add two cut up chicken breasts to the soup. Raw chicken should be added at the same time as the rice to allow time for it to cook.
- Sauté onion, celery, carrot and garlic in a large stockpot until just tender, about 5 minutes
- Add chicken broth and heat to just a boil. Add rice and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add chopped chicken to the pot and continue simmering.
- Beat eggs and lemon juice together and then continue to beat while tempering with two cups of the hot soup mixture. I had my husband help with this step in order to have the hot broth go in slowly. Going too fast will result in cooked eggs instead of a silky sauce.
- When the broth has been incorporated, add to the soup pot and remove from heat.
- Add herb garnish and serve.