Testing Soil

How do I test my soil? Do I hire someone to do it or is it a DYI project?

By judy from Riverside, CA

Best Answer

In my state the University has a cooperative extention service that does soil testing. When I contacted them they sent me instructions and a box to put the soil sample in to mail back to them. In a couple of weeks I recieved a print out and information on how to improve the soil. The cost was about 10 dollars.

Look in your telephone directory under County Government and see if your county has a cooperative extension agency. In our county they do free soil testing.

ceriverside.ucdavis.edu/.../

You can go to any Garden center, Home Depot, Lowes or even Walmart or Kmart in the garden center & get a soil test kit. Very simple to do.

There are several kits. Some more extensive than others. I just used a basic kit with 1 tube & capsule in it. It lets me know what to do to ammend the soil.Read chart on back of pkg. Good luck!

Contact your local Extension Service. They have a small packet with directions on how to gather your soil for testing. Return the packet with your soil contents and with in a short time you wll receive a reply and how to rememdy your soil. There is a small fee for this packet. jjs w Palm Beach, FL