Main DishesRecipes

Thai Yellow Curry

This curry is by far one of my family's favourite meals. It's creamy, savoury, spicy and has a hint of sweetness. This version uses chicken, potatoes and carrots, but you can use any mix of meats and/or vegetables and it's an absolute delight.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 6-8 servings

1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add the onions and cook for a few minutes, until wilted.
  2. Add the chicken pieces and curry paste. Stir constantly and cook for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the potatoes and carrots, stirring frequently. Cook for a few minutes.
  4. Stir in the coconut milk and water. Bring to a a boil, then simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked and the potatoes and carrots are soft when poked with a fork.
  5. Stir in the brown sugar. If you'd like a thinner consistency to the curry, add a bit more water. Serve over a bed of rice and top with chopped cilantro.

I like ve curry with rice. I am going to make it for tomorrow lunch, exiting !! Thank you for this recipe.

You're welcome! It froze well and we had it last night as leftovers. Sooooo super yummy!!!

Would this be your mum's "tears of joy" curry?

Noooo, this is not that. I still need to get that one going!

Might just try this. It looks delicious. I love curry, but I have to look long and hard to find curry powder without cinnamon.

Another of your recipes saved.

Know what? I'm growing yellow potatoes that are just as good or better than Yukon Gold. I bought sprouting spuds from the grocery store and planted them. I'll let you know how they turn out. Between Mumzy and me, we might make a farm girl out of you yet.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I'M SITTING WITH MUM AND WE ARE IN TEARS!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the laughs!!

Doug, I'll email you a curry powder that's easy to put together with spices you probably already have! No cinnamon!

Why give it to Doug when you can give it to all of us? ;)

JESS!! It's so funny I just saw this! I was laying in bed last night wondering why I emailed it to Doug when I could just post it here, and here you are asking! :D

CINNAMON-FREE THAI CURRY POWDER

1 Tbsp ground turmeric
3 Tbsp ground coriander
2 Tbsp ground
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 to 3 tsp chili flakes or cayenne powder
1 pinch ground clove

Mix all together. When using this to cook your curry, add a bay leaf or two to the pot.

Thanks! I've been wanting to start experimenting with Indian and SE Asian food more. I'll definitely try this.