Thai Cuisine Tips and Recipes

Category International
Recipes from Thailand are some of the most popular in the world. Thai food is known for its use of fresh herbs and spices in wonderful combinations of flavor. This page contains Thai cuisine tips and recipes.

An easily replicable Thai dish using ingredients you have on hand, no exotic spices or sauces required.

Total Time: 1 hour marinade, 30 minutes prep

Yield: 2 main dish

Link: http://triingforbalance.blogspot.com

• 10 oz chicken breast, diced
  • 1/4 cup fresh ginger, matchsticked
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup celery
  • 1 cup onion
  • 1 cup red pepper
  • 1 cup brown rice, uncooked

1. Dice chicken, ginger and veggies.
  2. Ad

3. In a covered container, mix soy sauce, garlic, sugar, honey, broth, and salt and pepper. Marinate chicken and veggies for at least one hour.
  4. Cook rice according to package.
  5. Reserving marinade, saute chicken, ginger and veggies in oil for 5 minutes, add in marinade and simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. Serve over rice.

This is my re-creation of my favorite Thai takeout recipe. The fish sauce is the key to making it taste authentic. Tiparos is the best brand I have found. If you want, you can substitute soy in its place but it won't have that tangy Thai flavor.

Ingredients

Directions

Start your rice, I always use a rice cooker or I ruin it! Heat the oil in a wok (or large saute pan) and add chicken. Cook until browned, 3-5 minutes, and remove from pan. Add onion and garlic and stir fry for 2 minutes. Mix fish sauce, soy sauce, water and sugar together (I use the measuring cup for my rice cooker).

Add back in chicken and sauce and continue cooking for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat, add basil and chilies and mix. Serve over rice. If you are feeding children or people who don't like chilies and/or basil, you can dish their portions out first and then add the rest of the ingredients. I started really simple for my kids and worked them up to eating the basil too. This has a great fresh flavor, different from regular Chinese stir fry.

Jess from Hillsboro, OR

This is a guide about Thai beef recipe. Each cuisine has its own unique seasonings, spices, and sauces that make it recognizable.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

For Fish lovers.

Ingredients

Directions

Prepare grill for indirect heat. Combine the rice, onions, red pepper and basil; place on a greased double thickness of heavy-duty foil about l6 in. square. Top with tilapia, snow peas and peanut sauce. Fold foil around mixture and seal tightly.

Grill, covered, over indirect medium-hot heat for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Serve.

Extremely delicious...

Source: Yana

By Raymonde from North Bay, Ontario

I was just given a package of "rice sticks". They are the type of noodles used in Chinese chicken salad. There is no cooking directions on the package - at least none that I can read. The entire package is in Thai. Well, I am guessing Thai, since they were made in Thailand. Thank you in advance!

Sheri from Rathdrum, ID

Answers

Try boiling them in some hot water the way you would any type of noodle.

Combine rice sticks and boiling water in a bowl and let stand 10 minutes or until soft. Drain; set aside.

Susan from ThriftyFun

You just need to pour a kettle of boiling water over them, once they go clear they are good to go. It takes about 1 min.

And if they're like the ones we get here, you should rinse them in clear cold water after you boil them.

Cantate in Japan

What is your favorite Thai dish recipe?

By Steve from Macomb, MI

Answers

Here is a recipe for Spicy Basil Chicken that I posted a few years ago. I still make it all the time. Yum!
http://www.thri  1393920.tip.html

Anonymous

I've also used this recipe, minus skewers of course. LOL, cooking it in a wok with just a tad of peanut oil instead of on the grill. :-) Jess, I am going to have to give your recipe a try! It sounds yummy!

Thai Chicken Kabobs with Peanut Dipping Sauce

1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
1-1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut in to 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp fresh ginger root, minced, or 1 tsp dried ground ginger
1 tsp crushed red pepper

Directions:

Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl. Place the chicken cubes in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, tossing once or twice.
Preheat a grill to medium high heat, place chicken cubes on skewers, discard marinade and grill for 5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear when piercing the chicken.
Meanwhile, mix the last nine dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl.

*Note: If using wooden skewers, soak them for about twenty minutes before placing chicken cubes on them.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

It seems as though VH Sauces have discontinued their regular Thai Sauce.
Does anyone have a recipe for it?
Thanks.

By Faye from The Pas, Manitoba, Canada

Answers

Try:
www.hungrybrowser.com
'Phaedrus' bills himself as the finder of lost recipes and other things. He's got recipes from restaurants, companies, etc.
you might get lucky. Check his site first above, but his email on the site is: phaedrus@hungrybrowser.com
Good luck!

Anonymous

You can also Google Thai Sauce Recipes and see which one sounds the closest to the flavor of the VH Sauce you were using.