Thai Basil Chicken

This is my re-creation of my favorite Thai takeout recipe. The fish sauce is the key to making it taste authentic. Tiparos is the best brand I have found. If you want, you can substitute soy in its place but it won't have that tangy Thai flavor.

• Jasmine rice
  • 1 Tbsp. oil, olive or canola
  • 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into thin, bite sized strips
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. water
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar (optional)
  • 1-3 chili peppers, finely minced (I use the little Thai chilies, serannos or jalapenos will also work, you can also leave them out entirely if you don't like hot!)
  • 2 cups of basil, torn into pieces

Start your rice, I always use a rice cooker or I ruin it! Heat the oil in a wok (or large saute pan) and add chicken. Cook until browned, 3-5 minutes, and remove from pan. Add onion and garlic and stir fry for 2 minutes. Mix fish sauce, soy sauce, water and sugar together (I use the measuring cup for my rice cooker).

Add back in chicken and sauce and continue cooking for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat, add basil and chilies and mix. Serve over rice. If you are feeding children or people who don't like chilies and/or basil, you can dish their portions out first and then add the rest of the ingredients. I started really simple for my kids and worked them up to eating the basil too. This has a great fresh flavor, different from regular Chinese stir fry.

Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Yummo Jess! Definitely on my list to try! :-)

bowl of veggies, pork and noodles
Thai Cuisine Tips and Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes InternationalJanuary 25, 2007
Pesto Pizza Recipes
Pesto Pizza Recipes
Pad Thai with shrimp
Pad Thai Recipes
Thai Beef on Salad
Thai Beef Recipe
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume