How ToClothing

Tie-dyeing a Wedding Dress

I am needing to know if it is possible to tie-dye my wedding dress for my hippie, gypsy, bohemian wedding theme?

It is possible. You need a gentle dye. Rit is not recommended for dry-clean only fabrics. Practice on a swatch first. Instructions are here www.wantthatwedding.co.uk/.../

Most suggestions/instructions for a wedding gown will be for "dipping" and not tie dye but this may suit you just as well.
Dry clean only material may not dye well.

If my daughter wanted to try this project, I would first pay a visit to at least 2 craft stores (Michael's / Jo Ann's) and see what kind of information they have (probably one aisle at least).

Most information for tie dye will fall around a cotton tee shirt as these are the favorites for this sort of thing. But you can adapt these to your gown.

Your biggest concern will be to make sure you purchase dye materials that will work on what material your gown is made of.
Generally a clerk will be able to help you find what you need and most likely they have printed instructions on how to tie dye.

Testing a small area will help you see what effect the dye is going to have on your dress but remember that single layers will always be lighter in color than double or gathered layers.

Here are some links that offer suggestions for how to tie dye (but mostly cotton material):

crafts.lovetoknow.com/.../Free_Tie_Dye_Instruction

www.care.com/.../

www.favecrafts.com/.../How-to-Tie-Dye-Step-by-Step-Instructions

What a cool idea!! Post back with the finished product and blessings on your wedding!!!

The only thing I have to add is if you can test it on a swatch (like if you had the dress altered and there were some hem scraps left), that might give you the best guidance for the process.

So cool!!! So happy for you!