General AdviceConsumer Advice

Tips for Buying an Air Compressor and Palm Nailer

I am a stay at home mom. I have some small projects that I would like to do. One is to organize my garage with some DIY shelving using 2x4s and plywood. I would like to get a small air compressor that is simple to use and gets the job done. In addition to air compressor, I am looking into getting a mini palm nailer. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

In order to choose the right palm nailer for your needs you must first understand the different nailer firing methods. This will help you buy the right palm nailer for your projects.

• A Contact nailer or bump nailer is used for driving nails in succession. This action takes place when you hold down the trigger. Each time the safety tip bumps against the surface the gun will fire a nail.
  • The Single-sequential gun firing prevents you from bump-firing the nails. You must first place the safety tip on the surface and then pull the trigger. If you keep the safety tip pressed against the surface you can continue to fire and add a nail.
  • Ad

• The Single-actuation gun fires like the single-sequential gun. However, this gun requires you to operate the safety trigger and trigger in any order to fire the gun.
  • The Full-sequential gun makes for a safe operation because you need to sequential activate the safety tip and trigger together to fire the nail. This gun wont allow you to bump fire.
  • For your air compressor you will need to decide on what size you want to fit in the space that you have. You have 4 different models of compressors on the market. The Pancake, the Hot Dog, the Twin-stack, and the Wheelbarrow. I would suggest that you go to the market and talk with one of the sales people there.