Tips for Dealing With Seasonal Affective Disorder

The skies are gray, the days short, and winter is beginning to affect your mood, you may be suffering from SAD, or seasonal affective disorder. This guide contains tips for dealing with seasonal affective disorder.

As the cold gray months of winter drag on, you may begin to experience the winter blahs. There are various budget friendly ways to lift your spirit during winter's gray period.

By VeronicaHB from Asheboro, NC

Great reminders, thank you! I'm printing this out to hang on the fridge:)

One thing I do on cold winter days and nights is to drink a cup of hot Dr. Pepper. I know, I get the same reaction from just about everybody I mention this to. But it's really good, and will stay with you and keep you warm inside much longer than a cup of coffee, tea, cider or hot cocoa will. And it's very easy to prepare.

Cut a slice of lemon and place it in the bottom of a microwaveable mug. Then pour the Dr. Pepper over it. Microwave till hot and enjoy.

I love sitting with my crocheting and a movie and drinking this on a cold winter night. It's one of those treats that I never make in warm weather, but instead I hold off and look forward to it when the weather turns cold.

These are all very good ideas! Thank you. I'm going to do some of them this week.

I'm huge on crocheting and will make some couch pillow covers that can be changed out with the seasons. Also a bright colored afghan to go with them.

Just thought of something too! I'll make some brightly colored valances and matching tie-backs for my curtains too!

You mentioned that winter is a great time to take a vacation. Consider taking a trip to an (indoor) aquarium. Rates are often reduced, you don't have to fight summer crowds, and seeing displays such as an aquarium of bright fish swimming through shimmering water is great for forgetting about the grey days outside. Many aquariums now also have butterfly gardens inside. Wonderful!