Tips for Losing 50 (or more) Pounds

Category Weight Loss
Weight loss is the number one goal of many people. Healthy eating and exercise are recommended for all, unless there are medical concerns. Not every tip works for every person so be sure to find the best tips for your lifestyle. This guide contains tips for losing 50 (or more) pounds.

I have tried everything to lose 60 pounds. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Atkins, Walking, Fruit and Veggie only, Low carb, No carb, Jogging, Diet Club, Gallons of water, Everything in fact. I have been to my doctor and DO NOT need thyroid medication. I have inherited my mothers hips, thighs and buttocks. And fortunately also her sense of humor and tenacity.

I am about to turn 40. Any ideas on how to finally deal with this problem would be gratefully accepted. Because our good Lord knows, my ideas are not working up to this point.

Many grateful thanks,

Kim

Answers

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hi Kim!
Here's a sure way to get motivated to lose naturally.
Exercise everyday. Period. Make a commitment to yourself. Yes this is going to have to be serious. I ride 2 miles on my peddling bicycle everyday. Every other day I include my total gym. A whole 5-15 min of my day. That's it. If you don't have these try simple walking for 15 min. everyday. Increase time if you wish. But the key is EVERYDAY. WALK. Jogging is not good for over weight people.It puts too much on your joints adding to other problems like strains, breaks or fractures. Keep it simple.The key is to be consistent. I truly believe you can eat almost everything just half your intake of what you normally eat. Reason being is to shrink up those stomach urges. If you are craving chocolate, have one just not the whole bag. Discipline is the key. We all know what this is about. You have got to make the commitment to follow through. Most of us with weight problems know that it is the following through that hurt us the most. We do ok lose a few pds. exercise then we stop. Ouch! That's what hurts and the weight comes back. I have decided to include exercise in my life and results are finally happening. I'm 39 almost 40 like yourself.

Weighing 190 for almost a decade at 5'5 was my life. Then I decided it had been way too long. A little over a year ago I got committed to doing something...moving is what it takes. I've lost 27pds.I'm at 163 now and wish to be 135-140. My goal. Lose the scales! They are so unkind to the moral. The mirror is all you'll ever need. It will never lie. Half your intake. Choose five to six vegetables daily,a must! Drink 1% milk. Don't forget the proteins but eat half of what you used to. Instead of ice-cream choose frozen yogurt. There are tons to choose from. If the breakfast meal is hard to fit into your schedule, drink a shake(slimfast, or store brand.) Portions is what really works. Think about all those diets. 4oz. here and slice there. Most of all give yourself the best cheer of all for making a choice to feel and look better for yourself and your overall health. Nothing worth while is ever easy just really really worth it. Do this for yourself, because when we feel good about ourselves, the way we look and the way others see us we can't help but be happy healthy people. Best of luck. To your 60 pounds and my 25 pounds. We can do this!!!!

Lots of Love
Jennifer CA.
Ps. email and let me know how you are doing...
jjager @ evansinet.com

Hi Kim! I know how you feel...trust me! You said you've tried Weight Watchers before. Have you ever heard of "The Wendie Plan"? Here's what works for me: I basically follow the WW plan quite strictly through the week using the lowest point for the week day (this is on my own...I don't attend meetings). Then on Saturday, I eat pretty much what I want. Now by that, I don't mean that I go off and eat every thing in site. I actually stick to my light breakfast and light lunch and then have a very nice dinner. If I want an ice cream at some point in the day, I have that, too. Then on Sunday, I'm back on target. My weigh in day is on Monday and I have to say that I always have a weight loss....as long as I don't chose to have 2 or 3 "cheat days". We call Saturday our cheat day in our home. Give it a try.

Kim, You can do this. Everything you've tried has the potential to help - the breaking point is time. We all want instant results. I know - seems like I've dieted since 2nd grade!! Throw out your preconceived ideas and what's happened to others, and start looking for baby steps for yourself. The slower you lose, the longer it will be off, so don't look for quick fixes. At age 30 the body starts converting muscle to fat - it's true - even if the scales never change, this quiet conversion is going on. The more muscle you lose, the less able you will become to do everyday things like bring in the groceries. At 40, you are 10 years into the conversion. The good news?? You can stop / reverse the process - but it involves that dreaded word - exercise. You need to ck with your MD first, and if you get the ok, you need to go back into an ENJOYABLE walking program, and combine it with a weight lifting program 3 days a wk. That will save your muscles, and the more muscles, the higher your metabolism will be, and the quicker your body will burn off calories. I'm not talking abt 50lb wt lifting. I'm talking abt 2lbs for things like elbow curls, chest presses, and so on. You can go to one of several websites that break down ideal exercises to target the largest ms in the body for starters. Don't look at exercise as a chore - make it your "special" treat for yourself, because that really is what it should be.

It's an investment in your health that will send those pounds right off your body. There are too many benefits for me to list here, but the important thing is you will age gracefully, have fewer health problems, improve your brain power not to mention your physical strength, and the pounds will melt off. If you will stick with it, you should see quite a difference in 6 to 8 weeks, but stick with it you must. That's why most folks fail at losing weight - they stop too soon because they want those instant results. Combine the exercise with a reasonable approach to your food, and you will be shocked at the change in your appearance. If you have a YMCA in your area, they have folks that will help you become comfortable in the weight room. It didn't take any time before I felt at home in front of those mirrors and the other fit folks there, who were encouraging to me. I plan to exercise my way to fit at 100 yrs old - no nursing home is going to get my hard earned dollars!! But without fitness in my plan, I'd be too fat, too weak, too ill, and too miserable to get out of bed every day. You can do it Kim, I know you can!!! You deserve that special time for yourself, to bring out the "feel good about myself" that is already there, just not being felt. You go girl!!

By Holly (Guest Post)

Morning exercise actually does more for your body than PM exercise.
But something is better than nothing!