Tips for Training Your Cat

Category Training
An owner holder her cat.
Cat behavior problems in your home can be a challenge to rectify. This guide contains tips for training your cat.

When I catch my cat, "Smokey" scratching where he shouldn't or doing something he shouldn't, I used to yell his name, but that didn't work. So now I simply clap my hands: CLAP-CLAP-CLAP really loud. This stops him right in his tracks!

By Cyinda from near Seattle

I'm so jealous you have obedient cats. I have two very mischievious but very lovable male red tabbys who fear no absolutely no one. I actually tried this on mine several times and they looked at me like I had lost my mind!!! Mid clap, one actually turned around to face me, yawned like he was bored and then proceeded to clean himself...no fear in his heart. I finally had to resort to a squirt gun to get any results but honestly I don't think it's fear that makes them move but rather the fact that they don't want to have to dry themselves when they get wet. My hats off to you if the loud clap works for you...you're a better trainer than I am.

Try using an empty soda can...widen the hole in the can, then put a handful of pennies into the can. Tape the hole shut. You can make several of these and keep them around the house....just grab one and shake it to get your cat's attention. I used this method to keep my cat off the counter...works like a charm...at least, when i'm home it works! haha