Toning Down a Whistling Kettle

Category Beverages
Some whistling tea kettles have a shrill sound, making them unpleasant to listen to. This is a guide about toning down a whistling kettle.

We like Instant Nescafe' coffee so I have to heat water in the kettle to make it. I know it is beginning to boil when I hear that high pitched shrill whistle. The water needs to boil a little more to get it really hot so to soften the noise, I stick a toothpick in the whistle hole. After reducing the heat, I remove the toothpick and put it aside to use next time.

Smart! I got rid of mine because it was too irritating. I should've done this. :)

Attosa, you will have to try it again. I love my whistling kettle. It lets me know when the water is boiling and the toothpick works great to cut down on the sound. I got mine from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

If you are planning to get a new kettle anyway, try to find an inexpensive "harmonic" kettle. It makes a pleasant sound that is not a whistle or high pitched.