Too Many Pears

I have a pear tree that came with the house. It looks like it's been through tough times, but it bears fruit every year. I get hundreds of pears each season. I feel terrible that the tree branches are all hanging down from the weight of the pears. Some of the branches actually snap.

I've pruned my tree in 12' and didn't get any fruit in 13'. Figured the tree was getting healthier but this year I have twice as many pears and my tree looks horrible again. I tell people I have an upside down tree. Is that normal?

By Elizabeth A.

It's a blessing! Free food! A lot of people swear by thinning the fruit when it's just starting to form. Just snip off the excess blossoms or fruit. More energy for the remaining fruit. That can mean bigger, sweeter fruit. Thin it out more at the ends of the branches than near the tree itself.

You can also trim off all but the main branches, but be sure you know what you're doing. You have to recognize which branches to trim, and how to take care of the wound where the branch is cut. You can also make supports for the tree. Google how to build supports for tree limbs. It's fairly easy, if you know how to do it.

If your fruit is good and tasty, you might want to consider preserving it. Pear jams and jellies and preserves (I make a vanilla pear jam that is soooo good!), pear butter, pear pies, pears in a light syrup. Dried pears. Or give them away to friends, family, neighbors. Check the area for food banks that want fresh fruit and spread the blessing.

Sell them - home canners would love a good price on fresh fruit!. Find out if there are any gleaners in the area who will come and take the fruit you don't want and give it to the needy.

What a blessing! Some people would just cut the tree down. I'm so glad you want to nurture it.