NatureCrafts

Traditional Leaf Bowl

Leaves, especial those of the Aspidistra elatior (cast iron plant), have been used to make bowls as decorations for thousands of years. This is the traditional technique on how to make your own at home.

Total Time: 3 minutes

1. Fold both ends of the leaf inwards.
  2. Cut two slits at the end of the folded leaf so there are three tabs. Do not cut all the way through. Do the same on the other side of the folded leaf.
  3. Keep the middle tab down, then insert one tab into the other.
  4. It usually stays together, but if it doesn't, use toothpicks to secure. Fill with fruits, salads, or sweets.

I grow Aspidistras. They are quite hardy and evergreen in my zone 7b. Unfortunately, they don't look as nice as yours since freezing weather has set in.

Your little craft is elegant to say the least. I have saved your post and will give it a go come Spring.

Thanks muchly!

Funnily enough, sir, I thought of you as I was doing this one! I wish you luck when you give it a go as it gets warmer!

I will have to try this one for Christmas! Here in South Africa, Christmas falls in the middle of our summer and it is HOT, so this will be an interesting fruit bowl.

Nice job!

It sounds perfect for you! Thank you, Benetta! :)