Training a Protection Dog

I have a 12 week old female Pit Bull. I want to train her for protection for my wife and kids when Im working nights. How do I go about making her attack an intruder that poses a threat on command? and call her off on command?

Training a dog to decide someone is an intruder, attack, and then stop, all on command, is not quite the same as training a dog to roll over. Trying to do this yourself is, at best, a gamble with huge repercussions such as causing someone's death and facing criminal charges, financial litigation, etc.

I strongly suggest that you consult with an attorney experienced in criminal and financial litigation. Also, you should discuss your training plans with a qualified dog security training consultant to understand exactly what training may be possible and the problems you may face.

Dogs trained to do what you want have had years of training from highly qualified trainers. They need to be handled by qualified people for the rest of their lives. That is the only way they can safely exist in society. While you may be able to train your dog to carry out some of this behavior, your dog will not have the protection of trained handlers. Your dog may become aggressive and unpredictable.

One mistake is all it takes. Society is often not very understanding about an aggressive dog. It can be their death sentence. In the real world, your dog will be protective of you and your family. If it is a good sturdy dog that is usually all it takes to protect your family. Train you dog for obedience so the family can control him easily, and you will have just the dog you need.