Transplanting Bulbs

Category Bulbs
Bulbs are normally transplanted in the cool weather of fall. This is not a hard and fast rule. This is a guide about transplanting bulbs.

I had to dig up all my mother's Easter lily bulbs from her flower bed because we had to sell her house. I dug them up, but now need to know what to do since it's December?

Answers

The best time to plant bulbs is the fall. If you live in the south you can plant them now. If you are in the north and can dig up the ground plant them at the recommended depth. They may not come up this spring but will the year after. You can also plant them indoors and then transplant in the fall.

thank u for my answer to Easter Lilly transplant. Now that I dug them up I'll plant them in pots for now. I've been keeping bulbs outside for a couple weeks r so. I hope I didn't ruin the bulbs.

I would water them like every other day and I plan on planting them in pots tomorrow. Is that the right thing to do at this time?

I usually receive at least one of these at Easter time and always feel sad when the bloom is gone  knowing they will not bloom again for another year.

I live in Florida so there is usually no problem with planting these bulbs anytime of the year, but Is sure there are regions where it may be safer to dig up the bulbs, store and replant in the spring.

Seems it is safe/ hardy to leave outdoors in zone 4-9 (from my plant books). But I have heard/read that you could plant bulbs a little deeper and mulch even in colder zones.

I have stored my bulbs in containers (always remove from the foil container they usually come in) in the house through the winter and had success with the following method:

Use peat moss preferably or good draining soil and put them in a cooler room (I use my garage).
Plant outdoors in the spring. I always remove it from the pot and just place the whole thing into the soil.

This info from my plant book:

Keep the bulb slightly moist at all times, they should not be allowed to dry out like other bulbs as that will kill the bulb. To store lily bulbs, wrap them in moist paper or moistened peat moss or sawdust and place in a ventilated bag-like the mesh bags they use for oranges or onions or a box and keep it in a cool dark place. Periodically, check the bag to make sure it doesnt dry out.
The other alternative is to leave it potted and plant them in the spring.
Plant away from direct sun.

Here is one of my favorite garden sites:

http://www.theg … /easterlily.html

I would keep them moist. Don't overwater.

Is it possible to dig up my bulbs from another area in the yard and replant them this fall? I have ones that I planted around some flower beds and would like to move them to another area. Thank you.

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Answers

Anonymous

Yes, you can transplant them in the fall, but do it before freezing weather.

Wait until they are a bit dormant and yes, before freezing weather.

Hello Linda from Brighton,
As long as the soil is workable you can still transplant them. Have fun.
Marie

Question:

I have tulips that are blooming at my grandmother house. We are selling the house. Can I take the bulbs now? And how do I do this?

Lynette from Chelsea, Michigan

Answer:

Lynnette,

The best time to harvest tulip bulbs is after the foliage dies back in the spring and the bulbs have gone dormant. However, as long as you can still identify where the bulbs are located in the ground, you can also dig them up in the summer. The main thing is to make sure you don't slice into the bulbs and damage them with your trowel while digging them out. You also to want try to disturb the roots as little as possible. As you dig them up, take note on how deeply they are planted. You'll want to return them to this depth when you're ready to replant them again in the fall.

After you dig them up, wash any excess dirt off the bulbs, and store them in a single layer in a cool, dry place with plenty of air circulation.

Most tulip bulbs only last a few years before they start to lose their productivity, so depending on how old the bulbs are now, you may want to assess whether or not transplanting them is worth it, or if replacing them with a similar variety is a better option.

Ellen

Answers

Why don't you just get a tote & put in some compost? Dig up the plants to at least 3-4 inches below their roots, put in tote, fill in as it would be in ground take with. keep watered as necessary. Fill holes you left with some kind of soil, fairly cheap at walmart (compost or?). So no one falls in a hole, and either transplant at new place or let them live out life cycle in tote and remove at proper time of year. You will have to look up on net as I have no clue.

When can I transplant bulbs. Is it OK to move them once they have bloomed or should I wait until fall?
Thanks.

By Barbara