Transplanting Easter Lily Bulbs in December

I had to dig up all my mother's Easter lily bulbs from her flower bed because we had to sell her house. I dug them up, but now need to know what to do since it's December?

The best time to plant bulbs is the fall. If you live in the south you can plant them now. If you are in the north and can dig up the ground plant them at the recommended depth. They may not come up this spring but will the year after. You can also plant them indoors and then transplant in the fall.

thank u for my answer to Easter Lilly transplant. Now that I dug them up I'll plant them in pots for now. I've been keeping bulbs outside for a couple weeks r so. I hope I didn't ruin the bulbs.

I would water them like every other day and I plan on planting them in pots tomorrow. Is that the right thing to do at this time?

I would keep them moist. Don't overwater.

I usually receive at least one of these at Easter time and always feel sad when the bloom is gone knowing they will not bloom again for another year.

I live in Florida so there is usually no problem with planting these bulbs anytime of the year, but Is sure there are regions where it may be safer to dig up the bulbs, store and replant in the spring.

Seems it is safe/ hardy to leave outdoors in zone 4-9 (from my plant books). But I have heard/read that you could plant bulbs a little deeper and mulch even in colder zones.

I have stored my bulbs in containers (always remove from the foil container they usually come in) in the house through the winter and had success with the following method:

Use peat moss preferably or good draining soil and put them in a cooler room (I use my garage).
Plant outdoors in the spring. I always remove it from the pot and just place the whole thing into the soil.

This info from my plant book:

Keep the bulb slightly moist at all times, they should not be allowed to dry out like other bulbs as that will kill the bulb. To store lily bulbs, wrap them in moist paper or moistened peat moss or sawdust and place in a ventilated bag-like the mesh bags they use for oranges or onions or a box and keep it in a cool dark place. Periodically, check the bag to make sure it doesnt dry out.

The other alternative is to leave it potted and plant them in the spring.
Plant away from direct sun.

Here is one of my favorite garden sites:

www.thegardenhelper.com/easterlily.html