Treating Dry, Brittle Nails

There are a variety of suppliments you can take, and different things you can put on your nails to strengthen them. This is a guide about treating dry, brittle nails.

My nails grow long then they always break very low near the cuticle. It is always a horizontal break and it's halfway across my nail bed. I cut it down as low as I can, but the break is still there. I was wondering if there was any nail repair that would help?

By Onesummer

Answers

Best Answer

I take Biotin for my nails. Its a relatively harmless vitamin but check with your doctor before taking it to make sure medications you are taking won't react or be affected by it. It is also good for helping your hair grow.

Best Answer

When I have a tear like that and want to prevent my catching my nail on everything (it always seems to happen, right?) I take a paper coffee filter and either cut or tear a piece small enough to cover the tear surface area and just a bit more. Then take a spot of crazy/permanent clear glue and place a dot on the nail where the tear is. Then place the coffee filter over, allow to dry. Sand with a nail file to make it flush, then paint your nails with a clear polish and then a coat of color if you wish.

The clear polish does help, so even on those times you don't have much, I do recommend that you keep clear polish on whenever possible. Just in case you are wondering you can also save the nail that broke off, use this same process, by adding the dot of glue, coffee filter, the nail, and another filter together, possibly topped with a bit more glue if this happens to occur *just* before a special event where you need all of your nails the same length. My mom did this for years, she was the original frugal mommy!

My nails grow long then they always break very low near the cuticle. It is always a horizontal break and it's halfway across my nail bed.

I cut it down as low as I can, but the break is still there. I was wondering if there was any nail repair that would help?

If you have dry, brittle nails that won't grow or break easily, take a waxy lip gloss (I prefer the vitamin enriched "Soft Lips") and apply to dry nails. Your nails will become stronger and grow faster! How this works is the lip balm holds in the moisture, an essential ingredient needed for healthy nails.

By Melissa

Answers:

Treating Dry, Brittle Nails

Sounds excellent. Let me also add that biotin is very helpful. It has been well researched. Appearex markets it, and I bought mine online. But I am now taking it (less expensively) by buying it from the vitamin shelf. The amount to use is 2,500 mcg a day.

My brittle and split nails, with one nail that had separated even from the bed by being torn, has since grown back relatively strong. They are still ridged, however, and I will definitely try the lip gloss suggestion. I bet it helps.

(07/16/2005)

By Lois

Treating Dry, Brittle Nails

I suggest that you do as I do. A friend told me about putting "Hard as Nails" finger nail polish on my nails. They would not grow, were easy to break, so I keep it on my nails. It really works and protects the nails. I use the clear polish, good luck.
(07/29/2009)

By kathleen williams