Treating Serious Behavior Issues in Children

An angry girl jumping up and down on the couch with an upset mom sitting nearby.
Although all children can act out from time to time, serious behavioral issues should be addressed by a medical professional. They can do testing and determine if prescription medication or psychological treatment can help.


Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 398 Posts
February 26, 2009

You might suspect your child might have a disability, screening for disabilities at the child's school is the first step.

Check out psychologists and such for treatment if you feel you can treat the problem or situation on an outpatient basis.

Serious Behavioral Issues:

Self Harm, etc. Sometimes at this level, the child will need to be stabilized at an inpatient facility. In order to put this into motion you must go to the hospital and ask for the child to be evaluated and see if he/she needs stabilization treatment.

This just means that the child will be kept at a hospital or clinic type facility for a few days to a few weeks to see what meds might help the child with his/her symptoms.

The facility will contact you by phone and communicate what they are doing and what they have found. When stabilization is through, then they are refereed to counseling and med therapy on an outpatient basis.

My daughter had to be stabilized about probably 10 times before we were able to say she was functioning at the best level she could. I am so thankful that these resources are available and the internet is a great place to learn.

Home Visit:

Ongoing home visits to support the child and parents. Sometimes they would just come over and talk to my daughter. Other times, they would work out a plan to take her out to eat, etc. She began to look forward to these helpful visits. I loved them, they are kind of a way to keep up on the child's progress in between psychiatrist visits.

One of the Greatest Resources is the Internet!

Always research, research, research. Hope this helps someone. :) I had to find it out on my own, no one walked me through the resources and encouraged me to file for disability for the child. Keep up the filing until you get it! :)

By Robyn from TN

Comment Was this helpful? Yes

3 Questions

Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

May 26, 2020

I have a 6 year old boy who is peeing and pooping and rubbing it into his floor because he says he doesn't get what he wants. My wife and I have told him that if he listens and does good he can have what he wants. He steals candy and then lies about it. We have tried everything.

He has nothing in his room now, but a mattress. I told him if he was good all day I would take him fishing. So later that day he and I left my wife and his brother home and went fishing. Then later that night when we got home he went to his room and got caught peeing on his floor. After that he said he was going to the bathroom when he actually went and stole candy then tried to lie about it.

Any advise is helpful.Help


Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 140 Posts
May 26, 20201 found this helpful
Best Answer

You need professional help. There is a reason for a 6 year old acting out. Ask yourself, are there any changes in his life, family, or the biggest thing is his life has changed a lot with this corona virus has changed his life.


Maybe he feels it is a punishment. Try to explain to him that the way things is, is sad for everyone and together as a family it will get better. Most of all he seems he is starving for attention !

Reply Was this helpful? 1

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
May 26, 20200 found this helpful
Best Answer

You, your wife and your 6 year old need to seek professional counseling as this is too big an issue for you to solve by yourselves.
I know you will probably get lots of suggestions but please consider trying to find out how you can get counseling. You will have to be this honest with anyone you talk with.

Is your son in school or starting soon?
Schools are the first place to ask for help so if your child will be starting school soon you can make an appointment with his school and talk with them about all of this as they will want to help you before he starts to school.


You can also contact some of the local churches to see if they have any names of people to help with this problem.

Have you talked with anyone at your local Family Services? You do not say about your income but most of these places can get help without charge if you cannot afford to pay.

You can try some of these places but local help is better and quicker.

This is a very serious matter and you need to work on getting help as soon as possible before something happens that cannot be undone.

This is serious enough to contact your senator and ask for help as they should be able to supply all types of local and national assistance programs.
You will have to make an appointment and express that it is serious and needs to be done quickly.
Be sure you makes notes before you visit their office so you know you will remember to explain everything or they may not be able to help you.


Find your senator with this link:

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
May 27, 20200 found this helpful
Best Answer

Your son could be experiencing some mental issues due to hormone imbalance or something else. I would actually take him to the doctor and have them run some tests on him. If this is not the case then you will need to get some professional help to get to the bottom of all of this. I am not sure how many children you have and if your son is the olderst or the youngest. All I know is that he will only get worse the longer you let it go. It needs to be corrected now before it gets totally out of control and bigger issues arise.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question

May 15, 2013

I have an almost 16 year old son who misbehaves and is disrespectful. He calls me names and tell me that I'm a liar when I'm clearly speaking the truth. He always takes my daughter's computer and when he is told to give it back he will slam it shut. He seems to always has a problem when I tell him no. What should I do to change his behavior?

By April C


May 16, 20130 found this helpful

Who is the boss in your house, you or your son. There must be things of his that you can take away as punishment, like car, car use permission, car keys, any entertainment type things he has in his room, favorite clothes, make him stay home instead of hanging out with friends. If this doesn't help seek counseling for him.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 17, 20130 found this helpful

Does he have a computer of his own to use? If not, could you get him one? If so, why is he using his sister's?
Remind him that if he respects you, you will respect him. If he acts disrespectful, let him know that he's being disrespectful and remove a privilege for a day, increasing the degree of loss of privilege each time he continues to be disrespectful. Tell him you love him too much to let him be a brat. At the same time, be sure to compliment and praise good behavior.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 255 Posts
May 17, 20130 found this helpful

He made need counseling.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 19, 20130 found this helpful

Contact Dr. Phil or read his books.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 5, 20160 found this helpful

His disrespecting you is just an outward sign of some other deeper issues that are bothering him. He probably really doesn't know how to put his finger on exactly what they are so, he can't really express them to you or anyone else right now. This is such a difficult age because they are not kids but not adults. What I mean is they are admonished if they act childish, yet they are still kids, immature in many ways. On the other hand, we demand that they act like little adults, responsible for many things adults are, that they may not be quite ready for, yet are eager to try in their quest for independence. We as parents need to remind ourselves that these "adults under construction" are under a ton of stress with school, friendships, romance, social media pressures, our expectations, hormones, etc. Trying to figure out who they are, what's important to them, what they believe in, what path's they will follow are all things they are facing. We need to learn to take these mood swings a little less personally and work on communicating our love and support better. If your child isn't comfortable coming to you to talk, you've lost half the battle!
If your child thinks you're going to lose control every time they do...they'll never talk to you about important things. We as parents donty want to let our kids run all over us and shouldn't but...we should also not act like kids when our kids use words to hurt us. They are only words and as soon as they see you upset by it they will use it as a tool. It's human nature! We all do it! Instead, give consequences and talk about how it made you feel later when things are very calm. Also,talk to your kids when they are off guard...riding in the car alone with you. Take them for a walk in the mall or on a hike or bike ride. Spend some time bowling or something else you can do one on one and you'll be surprised how much you'll learn about each other! P.S. leave all the hi tech stuff at home...phones, tablets, etc!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question
Parenting Teen BehaviorNovember 19, 2020
Christmas Ideas!
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2023-11-16 03:11:35 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.