FishPets

Treating a Pond Goldfish with Dropsy

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether there is a cure for dropsy in a pond goldfish, it has not gotten to the stage of the scales lifting as yet.

Put the fish in a separate tank from the others.Put a teaspoon of salt per gallon of water, and follow complete instructions here: www.thesprucepets.com/dropsy-in-aquarium-fish-1381806

Oh, this is a sad situation and from experience I know that it is painful to watch these babies going through this ordeal so I hope you can save this one.

There is a lot of information floating around but please be sure when you move the baby to new water that everything is correct before the transfer.
If the new water is tap water be sure it is treated and has no chlorine or other unwanted parts. Many people say to not use tap water but that may be all you have. You may have had to treat the water before.

Be very sure the temperature is correct and this takes several hours if done properly.
Please use ONLY Epsom Salt as regular salt may kill your fish.

The following link has excellent step by step instructions and each one is important.
I sincerely hope your little goldfish survives this ordeal.

www.wikihow.com/Cure-Goldfish-Dropsy

There are several reasons for dropsy and it is possible your pond is not the cause of the dropsy but if goldfish are in a pond they tend to get much larger so if you have a large goldfish I hope you can find a container to place him in as that may be the only way to save the goldfish.
I hope you have figured out a way because time is of the essence with a situation like this.

Also, I mentioned about using regular table salt and others are saying it is okay but I had a bad experience with salt but I could have used it incorrectly but I have never had a problem with Epsom Salt.

This is very challenging when the fish are in a pond.

Is it a small home made pond that you can drain and clean or is this a real pond (like a natural one)?

Either way the only chance is to get the fish out of the pond and into a controlled water situation and get them into a treatment with an anti parasite medicine and an antibiotic for the possible bacterial infection. You will need either a vet that knows fish or a pet store that where they specialize in fish to give you the correct dose for the size and type of coy/goldfish.

If it is a homemade pond, ask the vet/pet store how to clean it so that someday it could be livable again.

In a natural pond, you most likely are just not going to be able have fish in it again without risk.

Post back with an update. Prayers!

Pets FishSeptember 17, 2019
🎃
🎂
🌻