Treating an Open Sore on a Cat

One of my senior cats had pulled a patch of his hair out, between his shoulder blades, and now it's taken forever to heal. I had put a mix of an ant-itch cream and antibiotic cream on it, but he is able to reach it by licking it off. Any help or suggestions?

By Abby

First be sure the wound is actually healing-you may need a vet to check the area for possible infection. You can purchase a neck collar at a pet store that restricts your kitty's movement and will definitely not permit him to lick his wound.

Since this wound is not acting like a normal wound I would have it looked at by a Vet asap. It could be a fungus or cancer.

This may be an abscess - an infection under the skin that you can't see. If that's the case, treating it topically with creams and such won't help. You may need antibiotics from your vet.

My cat has literally scratched the whole side of her face off how can I stop it

We had a similar injury on our cat. I purchased some infant t-shirts and kept the shirts on her for a few weeks while the spot healed and she grew new hair.

She would lick the shirt but couldn't get to the wound allowing it to heal.

Pets CatsFebruary 12, 2015
🍀
💘