Stoping a Cat from Scratching Its Wound

My cat had his left front leg amputated. He was healing fine until they took the staples out. He opened a wound on his shoulder blade. The vet gave me antibiotics and told me to clean his wound and put Neosporin in it. That was doing good for about a week. I thought his wound was starting to close, but then he goes and scratches at it and now it's a longer wound. Does anyone know how to keep a cat form scratching at his wound so it can heal properly?

Make sure the claws are trimmed. Put antibiotic ointment on the wound.

Prayers for your kitty. A clear elizabethean collar may help. Talk to the vet ASAP to find if he/she has a better solution, like a special wound protective cover. The vet may also suggest medication to keep the kitty calm so he won't have energy to scratch.

Our vet stongly recommended a multi faceted approach when our late pup had a surgery. Their ideas resulted in a full recovery and many years of quality of life post surgery! Post back what the vet recommends!!

The best thing Ive found is a soft e-collar that fits around the cats neck. This one is very soft fabric so the cat can move about freely, without a huge plastic cone around their head. I bought mine on Amazon, for my Lucy when I administer her subcutaneous fluids. So she cant bite me. I think the manufacturer was Kong. I recommend getting a soft fabric kind.

An e collar or a padded cotton collar seems to work best. You need to see your Vet again to see that your kitty does not get another infection started in his wound.

Dont wait. Those things can develop quickly.