Two Shopping Bags in One

Have you ever had either or both of these things happen? You purchase those in-store bags with the square bottoms and the handles, but, sometimes you need some more support in them? Or you often get more than you came for and need another bag. I just had this happen to me on my way back from the store.

This tip is for you. Fold one in thirds, folding the handle inside, and place it in the bottom of the other. You can even do two if you want.

It not only gives you extra support, but extra bags for the same amount of room. N-JOY!!

Link:

If you put too much weight in it the handles will break no matter how many flat bags you put in the bottom. The bags you show are made for gifts, not shopping. They will not give you more support. Purchase some fabric bags and put your folded bag in the bottom. The fabric bags are made to hold cans, bottles, etc. are more sturdy and can be put in the washing machine. I have had some for over 10 years.

These are not gift bags which are paper. There are plastic bags you buy at walmart, Safeway, etc. I have had 2 gallons of milk in the one I showed.

That is over 16 lbs. The handles are sewn with an "X" stitch which is very strong. Hope that clears up the confusion.

These specially-made shopping bags, which only cost $1 apiece where I live, are perfectly designed for groceries - they comfortably hold two gallons of milk, or as many canned goods as you would want to carry, and support produce from the bottom so it doesn't get squashed. Can you get fabric bags like that? Where, and how much do they cost?

Until this year, I used non-woven fabric shopping bags I bought at the store for $1, with a stiff insert in the bottom. They lasted a few months, if you didn't leave them in the hot car between trips. Now I can get plasticized ones for the same price, and they look like they'll last a lot longer. And I also have carried two gallons of milk in the new ones routinely, and they don't show any signs of stress. I assume the reason for your extra bag in the bottom is primarily for heavy, awkward loads like assorted small cans and bottles that would stress the stiffener.

Mostly, but also so you have an extra for when you buy more than you need. I am also uploading a shot of the handle seam for further proof you can trust the structual intedgrity of them.

The stores in my area check your bags. They ask where you get the extra bags. I guess people use this technique to steal bags or hide items in the bottom. I am not accusing you of stealing. Please don't think that. I folded my bags not for extra weight but for space saving. I only carry one bag for shopping now.

No one checks my bags because I shop in a store were I bag my own groceries. And, this isn't something I do at the store.

This is what I do at home with bags I have purchased. This is my living room, where the bags were photographed. But for some reason, this tip has been misunderstood from the jump. So, to clear it up here are the facts.

I purchase these bags and take them home. When I go shopping, I fold up one of them to give me support for the bottom and to give me an extra bag should I need one.

They are not gift bags, they are not paper, and I have 4 this size and 2 larger ones from Michaels and Jo Anns.

Bless your heart, you were only trying to share a great idea w/ others that you had found to be helpful to yourself! Instead people started questioning all kinds of things, "from the jump" as you said. I just wanted to let you know that I not only appreciate the idea; but also "have your back"!!! Good luck!!! Mo

Thanks for that. Yeah, I usually find about 2-4% of people can't quite leave it alone. It's either they don't read or they don't understand.

Once, I posted about using a little plastic artist brush as a great way to exfoliate your face, and one person sent a 2000 word response warning me not to.

Thanks again!!

Great idea about adding the extra bag. I usually fold mine all together & put them into the biggest one...just to keep track of them. But then sometimes I'd forget to bring them. Sooo...I found a small nylon bag at Walmart that rolls up inside itself that I can just toss into my purse. I keep two of these in my purse all the time. No more worries about forgetting the bags. These are awesome bags, but they're getting hard to find, so we might have to make our own soon!

I live in a state that bans plastic/paper, but you can purchase for 10 cents each for reusable plastic/paper.

I always bring my own. I bring an insulated bag and inside I will have more bags inside (sometimes paper or fabric) depending. I love to brings bags to Whole Foods especially because they give back 10 cents per bag. Or Target will give 5 cents back per bag you bring to use!

I got several Ikea big blue woven bags for about $1 each at Amazon years ago. They hold 60 pounds each (I think) and I keep 2 in the purse I shop with. Solves my problem.

Great solution!!

I also use bags of this sort. A lot of grocery stores that I shop at regularly have incentives for this idea & they have a way of knowing whether you brought the bags or not ( for those that would think in the line of theft).... Anyways thank you for sharing. I hadn't thought of using a folded bag to stabilize the bottom. Will definitely do that from here on!